Question Win7 Slipstream All Updates

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
I have a long gestated new desktop build on which I'm just about to install the Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit.

Now I know about the 'Convenience update rollup' for Win7 as I used that for another PC Win7 install in 2016 when that was first made available. But as I understand it has not been itself updated since then.
I know very well there have been GBs of updates over the past three years and no indication MS are going to update that 2016 'CUR' any time soon.

I've found informed and informative articles on how to do it and have collected the tools necessary to created a slipstreamed all in one Win7 install disc. But it occurred to me that it might be possible to further add to the disc all the updates since April 2016 too.

Question is how? There must be dozen and some I'd want to avoid (telemetry gathering). Is there an easy way of doing this which does not involve laboriously identifying all important post April 2016 updates, downloading and adding them to the disc image one by one?

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Articles state that MS does not plan to release any rollup beyond the 2016 version.

You'll have to find someone who has accomplished the work as part of a personal effort & is willing to release it or you'll have to do the work yourself.

Based on articles I have read concerning this matter, it isnt a pleasant task and the work of this type would necessarily be subjective as a particular user would most likey not want all updates installed except for maybe security ones.

Unless you were going to use the slipstreamed roll up lots and lots, it doesnt seem like it would be worth doing.

As such, possibly some techy in an IT department of a major corporation may have actually done this work, but if so, provided you could even connect to the right person, I doubt that you would be able to be offered the results (at least freely).

In any event, it still wouldnt be current as it is understood that MS still issues regularly security updates for Win7 as part of extended support.

Reactions: Mantrid-Drone

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
I think you're probably right.

With more research I have found forum posts elsewhere from others who've tried to do a similar thing, adding some but not all later Win7 updates to the slipstreamed disc. But there often seems to be some trouble, which is usually why they've posted.

I've read that it is best they're added in supplied order too - the CUR (Convenience Update Rollup) itself requires the Servicing Stack Update to be installed first so that has to be slipstreamed into the ISO before the CUR.

I know there have been problems with other Win7 updates too where trouble has been caused because a certain update hadn't been installed prior to a later one. I seem to remember a problem with the Windows 7 Updates itself not working may even have been a case in point. The solution for that and other problems usually required is to rollback the updates, install the older one, then reinstall the newer.

As you say, the disc is only likely going to used once so it would be almost pointless redoing the slipstreamed ISO creation in such circumstances.

It looks like this idea is a non-started and I'll just slipstream the Convenience Rollout and have the fun of using Windows Updates to install all the rest afterwards.