Win7 force harware IRQ?

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
I have an add-on PCI-Parallel card and need to force its IRQ from 16 down to 7.
This is not being used for LPT perposes but for older software dongle use.
Was told win7 has a backway to do this as there is no option in the device manager as its a PnP device and the options are shaded out.

Possible?, Instructions?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Should be the same as WinXP is.

- Go into Device Manager, find your Parallel Port.
- Right click, go to properties.
- Slide over to the Resources tab
- Uncheck the "Use automatic settings" checkbox.
- Change the "Setting based on:" dropdown to "Basic configuration 0000".
- You should now see an IRQ entry listed under the "Resource settings" listing above, likely already set to 07. If not, check other "Basic configuration ####" entries for the appropriate setting.
- Click "OK" and be on your merry way.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
PCI slots are hard coded to IRQ lines, the numbers you see are legacy bullshit that
don't actually mean anything and AFAIK you can't change them.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
1. Thats just it, The use auto settings is shaded out for PnP perposes, Is there a switch/setting in the reg that will unshade.

2. I thought that also till I was working with 3 different OS, 2K,XP and win7 same MB, all three set up this add-on card to 3 different IRQs but still wont allow the manual set in the Dev Mgr, Makes me think there is a way to tell win to set it.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Lorne said:
1. Thats just it, The use auto settings is shaded out for PnP perposes, Is there a switch/setting in the reg that will unshade.

Not that I know of, because it's not something that you can change for PCI devices.

Lorne said:
2. I thought that also till I was working with 3 different OS, 2K,XP and win7 same MB, all three set up this add-on card to 3 different IRQs but still wont allow the manual set in the Dev Mgr, Makes me think there is a way to tell win to set it.

That's just differences in those OSes, not the hardware itself. I wouldn't be surprised if you booted a Linux Live CD and it used a 4th, different IRQ.