Win7 64-bit, IPv6 enabled, issues with video streaming sites

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Friend has an Athlon II X4 rig (yes, him). I recently upgraded him with an RX 570 4GB card, that I had purchased off of someone here, brand-new in box.

Upgrade went fine (although, his secondary HDD isn't showing up, I think that he or I knock the SATA plug off, trying to wedge that dual-fan card into a smaller ATX case). Installed newest Win7 64-bit drivers for it.

Problems watching FB videos, and twitch was showing a black screen, but "Live". YouTube was fine.

I asked him to check if there was a "Fast Stream" driver installed, nope, but IPv6 was enabled. On a whim, I said "uncheck IPv6 and reboot".

Voila? It seems to work, all of the stuff that wasn't working, was working now.

I had previously tentatively thought that it might be a codec / video-driver problem too, but I guess not.

Is this issue common?

His ISP is Comcast, which supports an IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack to consumer internet customers. His Asus AC66U / AC1750 router supports IPv6, but may not be up to the newest firmware release, and his cable modem supports IPv6 too.

Maybe rebooting everything would have worked too.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Never heard of "Fast Stream" driver , what's that?
That was something that AMD was bundling in their drivers for a while. It purported to help provide some sort of QoS for streaming video; it was provided by a 3rd-party and included in their driver packages.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDQuickStreamTechnology.aspx

Basically, though, it didn't work right, and generally often limited people's download and speedtest speeds to less than half of what they should have been getting, sometimes much lower. IOW, it would cripple your Windows' networking if installed.

Therefore, any time someone has issues with streaming video, or download bandwidth problems, and the lower-layers have been checked, I ask them to check their network card's properties and the driver stack list loaded for their NIC, to see if the "Fast Stream" driver is loaded, and un-install or at least uncheck it from loading, and reboot.

This time, though, the culprit appeared to be Win7 64-bit's IPv6 support, somehow. Maybe it would have been fixed, too, had he rebooted his modem and router, but at least it was working last I spoke to him.