Win2K Server License Manager Problem

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
I'm getting errors in the Application Event log of a Win2K SP2 Server that's the single server in a office network. I'm getting an error message that says, "Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server server2.[domain] could not be contacted." This has an ID of 213.

Server SERVER2 used to be a Win2K DC but I recently ran DCPROMO and demoted it to a member server before I shut it down. SERVER2 was the old server and SERVER is a new computer. Why does server SERVER still need to replicate the license information with SERVER2? Also, the licensing for SERVER says Per Server Purchased is 15 and the Per Server Reached is -5. I saw an error message box on SERVER saying that it was almost out of licenses even though there are only 11 client computers in the office.

Anybody have any ideas on what's going on with the licensing on this server? What do I need to do so that SERVER no longer wants to replicate the license information with SERVER2? Thanks for any info you can give me.

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I hate to say this as this actually violates MS agreement policy.

You can go to services and disable the license services on all your servers ... this should take care of the problem.

We called this problem in to MS certified consultants and even microsoft tech support team. They recommended the same method :)

Good luck!

eRr