win2k refresh rate problems in games

blablablabla

Feb 15, 2002
I just installed win2k and I tried to install several different games. I installed all the latest vidio card drivers for my video card, a geforce 2 gts, and I have also istalled the latest version of directx. Every time I enter a game the screens refresh rate drops dramatically, I'd estimate from about 85fps to around 60fps. I have made sure my adapters refresh rate matches my monitors and I have tried reinstalling each game several times. I've also tried reistalling all the drivers several times. All the drivers are for win2k. I'm new to win2k so I'd appreciate any recomendations I can get.
Thanx,
John

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
It is entirely possible and usually probable that your FPS is lower than your refresh rate as they are two totally different things.

Refresh rate = vertical scan frequency

vertical scan frequency

Also called "refresh rate," it is the number of times an entire display screen is refreshed, or redrawn, per second. Measured in Hertz, display systems typically range from 56Hz to well over 100Hz. A minimum of 70Hz is recommended to help prevent eye strain

FPS = Frames Per Second

The measurement of full-motion video performance. See frame.

frame

In computer graphics, one screenful of data or its equivalent storage space. In full-motion video, it requires approximately 24 consecutive frames in one second (24 fps) to simulate real, continuous motion.

blablablabla

Feb 15, 2002
I'm sorry I don't know why I put fps, I know the difference, I meant hertz. I guess its usually because you talk fps in video games.:-D