WIN2K pagefile.sys Question

SharkB8

May 25, 2000
I have my drive partitioned with C:\ 800mb, FAT16 and WIN2K installed on the 2gig, FAT32 D:\ partition. I did it this way so that I could direct WIN2K pagefile.sys to C:\.

I have read all the posts I can find on this issue, but I am still unsure of a few things. First, what size should I make the pagefile on C:\. I have 256mb of RAM but I plan to up this to 376mb soon.
Second, according to a past post by VirtualMike, I need to leave around a 20mb pagefile within the OS on D:\. (if I interprut that correctly) Is this, indeed correct?
Lastly, I can't even find the pagefile.sys file that exists within WIN2K. I have "hidden files" enabled so what's up with this? Is it only created as needed unlike the WIN98SE swapfile?

I don't want to screw this up, please help me. :confused:

TBP

Feb 20, 2000
I personally doubt if there would be noticable performance difference by managing the pagefile yourself. My understanding is win2K has its reason to use pagefile instead of main memory, those processes may be in waiting for other I/O etc which takes much longer than disk access (i.e. reading from pagefile is not rate limiting), so it will be just slightly faster if you have them already in the main memory.

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
If you wanna view the pagefile.sys file, you have to un-check "hide protected operating systems files" from the folder options menu.