Win2k and Temp folder

Idz21

Dec 22, 2001
I was snooping around my Document and Settings folder today because I saw that my OS partition was running low on space. What I found was that my X:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp folder was filled with 1 gig worth of temp files. The question I have is whether I can go ahead and delete all these files w/out causing major malfuctions to my system. I see things in there from the year 2000 and I'd like to get rid of that stuff, to recover some disk space, and not have to worry about breaking anything.

Am I ok with just deleting everything from that directory?

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
As far as I know, if all your applications are closed, you can go ahead and delete what is in the c:\winnt\temp folder, and I would assume that the same would be said for the temp folders under the user directories.

mikecel79

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Yes you can. Some programs clear out the temp files it puts in those directories when they close and some don't as your finding out with 1GB of files in there. You may want to go through and make sure you don't have anything in there you want to keep first though. Sometimes you save files there and not realize.

Idz21

Dec 22, 2001
Hmmm I hope not. I'll probably just hit Ctrl+a and Shift+delete ... I don't wanna go through all the folders in there. I can't remember ever saving anything to a temp directory.

Thanks for your help gents.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Idz21
Would it be safer deleting the temp dirs in Safe mode?

No. Don't do that.

Highlight all the files and hit delete (in NORMAL mode). Hit 'Yes to all' except when you see a message saying it will impact one or more registered programs. Leave any in use files alone as well. Stick to this and you'll be good to go.