News Win11: continuous feature additions is a thing now

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I just wonder what the point of the yearly 'feature update' is in light of this news. I was happier when MS decreased the rate of Win10 feature updates from biannually to annually, but Microsoft's attitude on this topic has gone from 'silly' to 'more sensible' and now back the other way to 'YOLO'. This is neither needed or desirable for a >30 year old product.

I have to laugh though when Microsoft routinely justifies these bone-headed strategies with "feedback from our users"; take a hint MS: don't take product development advice from teenagers or users of your insider service. You've got possibly a billion users, and a very small percentage want to switch on their computers and wonder what you changed/broke today without permission.

- edit - apparently the official distinction between 'monthly quality updates' and 'feature updates' is that the latter adds new features, whereas the former "improves features". I'm not sure that really explains anything, because AFAIK most people, devs included, would say "our product can do X now" is a feature addition regardless of whether it "improved existing functionality" or "added a whole new feature" because in order to say "our product can do X now" means you added something. If you add a dictionary feature to Notepad, are you improving the Notepad feature or are you adding a feature to Notepad?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pohemi
Jul 27, 2020
They should be more transparent about what they are changing. Give a full list of changes and give the user a clear option to defer the update. If any future update requires the deferred update, let the user know about that too. There is no reason to force changes on users and frustrate them.

I haven't connected my Win11 desktop PC to the internet for this reason. I don't want the constant unnecessary updates. If I do need to connect for some reason, I will first take measures to block all microsoft domains.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
They should be more transparent about what they are changing. Give a full list of changes and give the user a clear option to defer the update. If any future update requires the deferred update, let the user know about that too. There is no reason to force changes on users and frustrate them.

I haven't connected my Win11 desktop PC to the internet for this reason. I don't want the constant unnecessary updates. If I do need to connect for some reason, I will first take measures to block all microsoft domains.

I think there's an awful lot of fictional/whimsical/wildly-innacurate basis for what Microsoft chooses to do with Windows these days, I've given up trying to look for any logic to it.