win10. since CU I have no "look for another app on this pc" option

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
as in right click>open with>choose another app.

it ends with the ms store. checked with jpegs, ISOs and pdfs and same.

what the hell?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Cant you just click on more apps then scroll down to look for another app on this pc?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
What build do you have? I just checked mine and with a jpeg and I get the options of Paint, Paint3D, Store, and choose another app. This is with build 15063. If you are running the latest and still have the issue, there are freeware programs that let you play with this too:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-click-context-menu-items-editors

I have the "choose another app" option but on going down that road I don't have the option to choose another program on this hard disk. you used to be able to choose that then browse for an EXE on your PC if you wanted. I can't seem to get that anymore.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
What happens if you right click on an individual file? For example if I right click on an .mkv file I then get the option to look for another app on my pc and can navigate to mpc-hc.exe. If I check the always use this app box then mpc-hc becomes the default for .mkv files.
DFLrnij.png

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
What happens if you right click on an individual file? For example if I right click on an .mkv file I then get the option to look for another app on my pc and can navigate to mpc-hc.exe. If I check the always use this app box then mpc-hc becomes the default for .mkv files.
DFLrnij.png

tried on an MKV and the same. it looks like yours (diff programs of course) but that "look for another app" etc isn't there. only since the CU,. it's what i did once upon a time for mkvs (mpc-hc) since it was easier than doing it in program.

ok, this is weird. I noticed the size of the gap between the "always use this app.." line and the last program shown (wordpad in your image) is the same. i clicked there and an explorer window appeared to browse. so it turns out the option is there but the text is now white! wtf microsoft

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Well at least you solved one issue. Now it appears you have another though. On all 5 of our computers running Win10 cu the letters are blue not white so I'm not sure what would cause that. Do you have a custom color scheme running on your computer or did you tweek one of the build in Windows color options?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
nope. never done anything like that. everything else works as far as I can tell so I might just leave it.