Win10 - SecureRom and SafeDisk DRM

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
This was a long time coming, all be it a little too late on Microsoft's part. No legitimate piece of third party software should have that kind of access. SecuROM was, for lack of a better term, a rootkit. A nasty one at that too. Near impossible to remove even after the game was uninstalled. Ironically, it probably drove more piracy than it actually stopped.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, come on, securom wasn't that hard to remove. FEAR had it and i knew it, played the game and then got rid of it.
it did take GMER and a few restarts, but it wasn't "impossible".

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Frustrating, to be sure. At least in Mass Effect's case though, you're now able to redeem your CD key in Origin and install the game as a download at no extra cost. I assume it's a similar situation with other EA games that used SecuROM, like Spore.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Crysis warhead has securerom, can't use my retail key on origin or steam. Game works though on Win10 (tried last night cause another thread got me curious).

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I think the article's suggestion to download a no CD crack is not a safe idea. But then again when was the last time anyone used no CD cracks? I stopped once it was reported they were spyware filled.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I think that most games would be fine now, as most would have had patches that would either remove or at least reduce the drm.

This is more informational just in case you find that odd game from early '00s that for some reason will not install.

as for no-cd patches... I would tread carefully and maybe as only as an ultimate last resort