Question Win10 lappy won't go to sleep when I close the lid

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It IS set to go to sleep. I set this again, but it stays on. I can tell because the machine is quite warm when I raise the lid. Plus, I just closed the lid with video playing and the sound continues. So, I just set it to sleep after one minute of no activity. Closed the lid and after one minute there was 1/2 second of silence and the sound then continued.

How can I fix this?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Logically this would make me think that the mechanism for detecting the lid being closed is broken, but I've never seen that happen.

I assume you set the lid closing action to sleep in Control Panel > Power Options > choose what the power buttons do (or however it's labelled on Win10)? Is there some manufacturer's power management software installed as well? I wonder if that's overriding the setting in Windows.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you tell it to go to sleep via the Start menu, does it?
Well, sometimes. I just did it while a streaming rebroadcast was happening and got the same split second silence and it came right back on although the screen remained blank the sound continued.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you tell it to go to sleep via the Start menu, does it?
Actually, at least right now it does not go to sleep, it just turns off the display. Touching a key or the trackpad turns the display back on. Everything I have tried in Settings hasn't helped. It's a Lenovo P1Gen3 laptop running W10. Pressing the power button is supposed to put it to sleep according to Power Settings but it does nothing.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Some weird Lenovo Vantage settings overruling Windows?
I started looking for that but don't see it. Went into BIOS today and Lenovo Vantage utility. Maybe I can get some contact with Lenovo to ask. Well, there's the Lenovo forums I have gone to a lot, I think I will ask there. Some of those people are very savvy and experienced.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The only workaround that seems to help at all is enabling hibernation and setting closing the lid to that.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The lid sensor obviously works then. Does that consistently work properly with hibernation?

One thing though, are the problems occurring when the computer is playing sound and you try to close the lid to put it to sleep? I'm just wondering if the sound driver has something to say about it. For example, on my desktop PC, if I put it into sleep mode then switch my hi-fi off (PC analog audio out connected to hifi aux) at the mains, it wakes the computer.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The lid sensor obviously works then. Does that consistently work properly with hibernation?

One thing though, are the problems occurring when the computer is playing sound and you try to close the lid to put it to sleep? I'm just wondering if the sound driver has something to say about it. For example, on my desktop PC, if I put it into sleep mode then switch my hi-fi off (PC analog audio out connected to hifi aux) at the mains, it wakes the computer.
Yesterday I tested a few things. The hibernation consistency I can't speak to other than after few times it seems to be working fine, no issue.

Now there is something I may have hinted at above, being this... When I have tried to put it to sleep the switch light (there's an LED in the middle of the power button) blinks off for a split second but then comes back on and stays on. So, intuitively I figured this means that it tried to Sleep but something woke it. The fact that touching any key or the touchpad woke the screen up had me searching in Device Manager for a Power tab on something (mouse, keyboard, touchpad-element, ???), because I used to find that with my other computers some times, a checkbox, "Wakes..." I used to uncheck that to resolve a laptop waking by virtue of touching the mouse with the lid closed. I could find nothing yesterday.

The sound issue: I did this yesterday... I have so many windows/tabs open I could not be sure something wasn't contributing sound in Chrome, so I closed the process, all windows gone and I saw no difference in terms of Sleep being attainable. Nothing was open at all, IIRC.

Another thing. This is my Lenovo P1 Gen 3. I also have a P1 Gen1 (downstairs) and I am unaware of it having a problem right now with Sleep. It's also running Win10.

I am wondering if a reinstall of Win10 on this machine would resolve the issue, don't know what else to try. Is there a utility I can run that will provide me a list of the programs and utilities I have installed here? In the past IIRC I just made a list or installed as needed after a Windows reinstall. I wonder too of something is installed here and running in the background that is causing this. These two P1's have mostly the same stuff installed, but surely not identical.

Edit: Just tested lid-close induced hibernation. Worked and took 15 seconds to wake after lifting lid.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Ideally, when Windows wakes from sleep mode, an entry in the Windows > System event log is recorded and tells you the source of the wake event. This might point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ideally, when Windows wakes from sleep mode, an entry in the Windows > System event log is recorded and tells you the source of the wake event. This might point you in the right direction.
I'm going to try that...

What I just did is Settings/Privacy/Background Apps, and I turned off all background apps, rebooted and the problem persists. So, turned background apps back On. It was a lot easier than turning them off one by one looking for the offender. Um, right now while troubleshooting I have Lid Lift ---> Sleep as current setting. I'm not sure sleep ever happens, so don't know what the event log is going to show but will have a look now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Looking I don't see a wake event. What I see is Exiting connected standby. I am wondering if that feature is the culprit. However to change it I am seeing steps to edit the registry, not something I often do and I wonder if I should do/try that.

This, for example:

How-to disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 May 2020 update?
good old registry hack does not work anymore:
1) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] CsEnabled=0
2) deleted [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep]
PC still uses "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and it makes a lot of problems

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am finding that unplugging the lappy causes different behavior. It goes into standby (or very like it) if running on the battery.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A workaround would be using my P1Gen1 for my most used laptop instead of Gen3. They have largely the same software installed, etc. Only difference of significance is the email client and I could swap them because it's that portable (Forte Agent 1.932).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Huh. I've never even heard of Modern or Connected Standby. Reading more about it, I'm wondering why on earth I'd ever want it.
I don't know that it's actually running on this machine, I could go into registry and find out I suppose. In any case IIRC it's a thing when running on battery, not adapter power. :oops:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Re the event log entries, here's a couple I just triggered on my win10 install:

entering sleep.png

resuming.png

The first (entering sleep)'s info is completely correct, I initiated sleep mode through the Start menu. The second (resuming) isn't quite correct, I used the PS/2 keyboard to resume. But that gives you an idea of what the messages out to look like.

There is also a way to set up extra monitoring of a sleep transition and have Windows log the data, powercfg is the command line program that you use to request the monitoring. Maybe google for 'powercfg troubleshoot sleep mode' or something.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A search indicates:

Connected Standby mode is primarily a device's battery operating mode on the Windows operating system. In this mode, the device is turned on, but the display will be dark. Windows suspends all applications that may be running and puts the device in a state that consumers minimal power.
- -
However, I have it on adapter power (of course, the battery is integrated on this machine, it is not pop-out removeable like on my T60s and T61). Why I was in connected standby when running on plugged in power seems mysterious.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, I have to believe that connected standby is operational on this machine and suppose that could be the problem here. Maybe that registry hack will resolve this. How and why this happened I can't guess.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This post makes me chuckle:

Lukas Dziadkowiec
Replied on June 13, 2020
I and many colleagues from our company have the very same problem after installing build 2004. We have S0 already disabled as it does not work correctly on our DELLs XPS 9570 laptops, they are cooking themselves alive. After installing build 2004 I immediately noticed that going to sleep means 50/50 BSOD+reboot or wake up. I have real concerns about the sanity of MS leadership as Windows 10 is one big public alpha-stage project.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I try the registry hack.
- -
Kindly try the following steps below to disable the Modern Standby:
1. On the search bar, type "Regidtry Editor" and click on it.
2. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
3. Double Click on "CsEnabled" and change the Value data to 0
4. On the search bar, type "Command Prompt"
5. Type "powercfg /a", then hit Enter and provide the result.
- -
I reboot and first time I try (close lid) the little light on the top of the lid does not start blinking, it stays on, so I deduce the hack didn't do anything and figure go back in the registry and change from 0.

However, one thing: Instead of CsEnabled there was an entry ModernSleep. I changed its setting from 7 to 0.

So, instead of changing the setting back to 7 (since I sensed no fix) I closed the lid again and now the light does go on and off, every 3 seconds cycling. Well, maybe Sleep is working again on adapter power? I've got a Kasa energy monitoring smart plug I can plug the adapter into and monitor the laptop's energy usage live from my android phone, am going to do that now.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I swear I've encountered a setting somewhere (in media playing apps?) pertaining to 'prevent PC from going to sleep while streaming/playing audio'?