Win10 equiv for File rename in Win7 FileExplorer (ALT-F-M)

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I can't stand that I can't type ALT-F/M to rename a file.
How do I do this in Win10. I hate using the mouse.

Also, what is the correct subforum for a question like this?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
ooooohhh is this going to (d)evolve into one of those Win10 bashing threads?

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
i hate the stupid win 10 start menu. it's absolute trash.

Care to elaborate?

It's an improvement from the previous versions. For some, like me, it's even better than Windows 7.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
On a related note, I recently discovered that you can tab through files while renaming them. I've wasted so much time when renaming multiple files before I found that out.

Sure, you can select multiple files and rename them all at once, but then Windows chooses the order and I like finer control than that.

F2 change what is needed, tab, rinse and repeat.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Care to elaborate?

It's an improvement from the previous versions. For some, like me, it's even better than Windows 7.
I've not touched Win10. How's it better than Win7's?

Windows key, start typing, program I want is on the list, arrow down once or twice, Enter, done.
I don't know how it'd get better than that.

More rarely: Click if I know the program I want is on the common programs list that comes up first, click on program.

:hmm:Maybe if it integrated functionality like Voidtools' program Everything, that might help. Everything is an amazingly useful program, like it's everything that Windows 7's search functionality should have been.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Windows key, start typing, program I want is on the list, arrow down once or twice, Enter, done.

More rarely: Click if I know the program I want is on the common programs list that comes up first, click on program.
I personally think you should combine the two above. In Windows you have full control over what is on the Start menu common programs list. So, put the programs you want to show up there and only those programs.

Windows Key. Click. Done.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I've not touched Win10. How's it better than Win7's?

:hmm:Maybe if it integrated functionality like Voidtools' program Everything, that might help. Everything is an amazingly useful program, like it's everything that Windows 7's search functionality should have been.
Typing into the start menu works in exactly the same way with Windows 10.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I've been using F2 since forever.

Alt+F / M is a roundabout way of doing things. But if you insist on doing things the long way, Alt+C / R does the same thing.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I personally think you should combine the two above. In Windows you have full control over what is on the Start menu common programs list. So, put the programs you want to show up there and only those programs.

I prefer to use the keyboard when possible rather than the mouse.
Example: If I need Notepad, it's faster and easier for me to type Winkey+note and hit Enter as my hand's on the way back to the mouse, rather than to move the cursor from wherever it is on my screens, click on the Start menu, locate it visually on the list even if I know right where it'll be, and click on it.
Or if I know Notepad is going to be the first item on the Run list, I can do Winkey+R with my left hand and immediately use my right thumb to tap a button on my mouse that's mapped to Enter.
(Mapped keys on my mouse buttons: Enter, Escape, Alt, Ctrl, Forward, Back)

Besides that, my mouse aiming skills have always been terrible. Closing tabs in Firefox with the mouse can take 2-5 clicks before I hit the little X. Ctrl+W is left-hand only and has an extremely low chance of missing.
I could also never beat any FPS game on anything above Normal: I spent too much time and too many bullets missing what I was trying to shoot. :\

I do pin more programs to my Start menu on my tablet though, simply because a touchscreen as an Windows interface instead of a keyboard and mouse is very clumsy and sluggish.

Last edited:

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011

The "click" part is the fail.
No mouse.

jspot

Oct 23, 2020
I understand this is a 4 year old thread, but posting this in case it helps someone.

I also miss ALT+F > M to rename files. So in Windows 10, I use AutoHotkey with the following script. Works great!

#IfWinActive, Ahk_exe explorer.exe
!f::
Input, userInput, L1
If (userInput="m") {
Send, {F2}
}
Return

jspot

Oct 23, 2020
Writing a script to send F2 instead of just hitting F2 instead?

Yep! I got used to ALT+F/M in Win7 (don't remember why) and then used this combo for well over a decade. I am a crusty old curmudgeon and I hate change...old habits die hard lol! Plus, I already use AutoHotkey for a bunch of stuff, so relatively simple for me to bang out this script.