Info Win10/11: disable "let's finish setting up your device"

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I can't believe I've only just learnt this, Win10 has been out for like 7 years! I thought I'd share this info as I've mentioned this problem a few times before on this forum and no-one suggested this.

If you don't sign in to Windows with a Microsoft account, on the default settings you get regularly (once a month I'd say) nagged about it on login:
large

And I recently learned you can disable this behaviour:

Go to Settings > System > Notifications & actions and uncheck 'Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows' option.

There are two other tickboxes next to this option that I tend to untick as well, but I don't have a Win10 install handy so I can't quote the text for those. The same goes for Win11 as well.

- edit - Win11 22H2 takes a further step to hide these settings in the same location but under 'additional settings'.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Side note... The remind me later option on devices pisses me off. I want the [Not now, not ever] button to push. It's like politely declining the Jehovahs Witnesses at your door, and they tell you they'll be back tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This screen coming up is a regular and real problem for headless mining boxes. Reboot the rig, and it goes to that screen, needing input, rather than finish booting into Windows and start mining.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Side note... The remind me later option on devices pisses me off. I want the [Not now, not ever] button to push.

Partly because of that I didn't expect there to be an option to disable it elsewhere. I'm still kicking myself for not looking / researching for that option all this time though!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Nice, I can't believe I haven't seen this before. Hopefully this stuff stays unchecked.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I do wonder why Microsoft is so hostile towards its users. It treats them like an enemy they must bombard with bad defaults and unwanted ads for their services masquerading as features.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
cause i'm old and crotchety and don't want to learn linux.
Runs smoother and has better uptime. It's not a huge hurdle if you install the desktop version with a GUI and use underlying "server" techniques. I get the old dog/new tricks thing though. It's like speaking english and taking on something in greek at first. If you were an Apple user it's a bit easier as most of the commands carry over between the two systems.

Then again I use similar commands in Powershell.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Win11 23H2 has got rid of the option 'Suggest ways to get the most out of Windows and finish setting up the device':

Screenshot 2023-12-04 094810.png

I did a search in the settings app and didn't find a result for it either. I wonder if Microsoft have up'd their game in trying to force people to sign in with MS accounts (along with the changes to Win11 setup).

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
Win11 23H2 has got rid of the option 'Suggest ways to get the most out of Windows and finish setting up the device':

View attachment 89848

I did a search in the settings app and didn't find a result for it either. I wonder if Microsoft have up'd their game in trying to force people to sign in with MS accounts (along with the changes to Win11 setup).
Still there on the 3 I just checked.

All are upgrades to 23H2. Maybe clean installs are different?

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Still there on the 3 I just checked.

All are upgrades to 23H2. Maybe clean installs are different?

Perhaps, this is a clean install of 23H2. MS have rolled UI updates independently of feature updates so I don't know when this rolled in, or whether any updates arrived before I checked these options.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
Confirmed..still present. As a sidenote just did 2 installs and if you have the option to install offline it is a far more pleasant experience (windows 11) ;)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The only other factor I can think of is that the 23H2 stick I set up with rufus and told it to skip the MS account setup and go with my regional/input preferences, but I'd be surprised if that resulted in options disappearing in the actual Windows environment.

- edit - a second computer I set up with the same setup media also lacks the option I mentioned in post 15.

Last edited:

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
I stand corrected by myself sorry. Not present on Win 11 (23H2) Ent clean install, done with rufus.
Present on old 11 Win (22H2) pro and Win 10 (22H2) Ent.

Damn thats what its like getting old heh

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Partly because of that I didn't expect there to be an option to disable it elsewhere. I'm still kicking myself for not looking / researching for that option all this time though!
Don't feel to bad, they'll probably reset and rename the option on the next update now that you've figured out where it is.