Win Xp keep asking for username & password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by holyghost, Mar 31, 2003.

1. holyghost

holyghost Member

I setup a Win 98 as a simple dialup server. I've been using Win 98 to remotely dial into the server & have no problem until I change to Win Xp. Whenever I dial into the Win 98 dialup server, Win Xp will ask for a username & password where I didnt set any username or password on the dialup server. Why is this happening? It never happen before when I use Win 98 as the remote client. How can I find the username & password or can I disable the option in Win XP?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - username password Forum Date
    Where is the username and password of a network printer stored? Networking Jul 22, 2016
    Must Enter Username/Password Connecting to Share on Vista Networking Jan 8, 2009
    Network printer, asking for username and password Networking Jun 23, 2006
    Wireless username/password being cached? Networking May 18, 2006
    Username/Password prompt shares in Windows Server Networking Sep 13, 2005

3. ScottMac

ScottMac Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member

If you have the browser set to not use a proxy (when one is required), you may see the symptoms you've described... like everytime a web page changes / loads.

FWIW

Scott

4. holyghost

holyghost Member

I am not connecting to the internet. I am just dialing into a network through a Win 98 dialup server. Each time I dial in & before getting connect with the network, Win Xp will prompt a message saying I cant connect to the network due to username & password error but I didnt set any username or password in my network. Its just a plain & simple peer to peer network with a dialup server using Win 98.

5. StraightPipe

StraightPipe Golden Member

similar problem here, when acsessing a win 98 drive from XP.

I've got my network working, file sharing + print sharing work. but every time I restart or switch users I have to retype password to access 98 drive that is mapped on XP.

I even tried seting user name and password, but it comes back "Incorrect Password or User name" type it in again and it works? . I also clicked the button that said "reconnect at login"

will XP Home not save the password?

I'm gona kick some microsoft azz if I have to buy pro to keep from typing my password every time I switch user or start up.

6. holyghost

holyghost Member

Mine is a pro but that doesnt seem to help. Anybody around here can help out?