Win XP crashing DHCP server on wireless router

Yodster

Jul 30, 2001
I believe the topic is fairly clear but let me add a few details and some background.
The hardware setup is as follows:
IBM Thinkpad T20 with a symbol spectrum24 802.11b pcmcia adaptor
What happens is that the laptop boots fine, the nic is powered up and all is well. Network and internet acces is fine, the laptop gets an IP assigned to it by the router and everything goes smoothly. After that happens anywhere from 3 minutes to several hours pass and suddenly the wireless connection (while still showing the status as connected) does not allow any data to pass through. All wilreless clients are affected by this. The DHCP server is no longer functional for wireless and sometimes (though not always) stops functioning for the wired network as well. The wireless clients are pretty much disconected at this point, but the nic and windows show that the card is still connected on the physical layer (if you can call it that for wireless). Sometimes the wired network also goes down, but othertimes it functions without any issue. This does not occur when the machine is running an OS other then windows XP. This issue has been noted with more then one laptop and with multiple nicks (all Symbol nics though).
This issue occures with the MR314 from netgear as well as the linksys wireless router (i don't recall the model at the moment)
Strangely this issue does not affect the wireless router that I have at home (an SMC SMC7004AWBR)
All the routers have the latest firmware updates and the drivers I am using for the wireless nic are the XP drivers from symbol
The SMC actually had a firmware update to adress some sort of XP issue but the router didn't have any issues with the XP client before the update so I am not really sure if it has anything to do with it.
I would realy like to resolve this issue but have no idea what is causing it. I have scoured the web and various forums and haven't found anyone with this issue. If anybody has any idea of why its happening or how to solve it I would greatlyt apreceate it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Sounds like a quirkish problem with XP's tcp/ip.... I haven't heard of anything, but until someone creates a patch to fix it (possibly an ip leasing issue), the only thing you can do is turn off DHCP and run static IPs or see if you can reserve an IP address on your router for your wireless laptop running XP. If a patch does come out, it may fix it....but like I said, sounds like a quirkish problem.

I do understand it's tough when you're running a router for DHCP and this is one instance that it'd be better to actually have a DHCP server rather than doubling a routers functions like that... I wish you the best of luck!

Yodster

Jul 30, 2001
I doubt that it is the TCP/IP implementation because XP doesn't cause any issues with a standard CAT5 connection, not even on the machine in question. It seems to be the interaction of XP with the symbol wireless card and/or the wireless protocol that below the TCP/IP layer in the OSI model

Yodster

Jul 30, 2001
One more try then, has anybody else has this issue ?
May try moving this thread to the ardforum to see if anyone there ma have an idea.