Win XP and GeForce 4 4200 Problem

bulldog

Dec 10, 1999
Windows XP is not installing my new Gainward T4200. I have a new MB Asus P4B533
and a clean install of windows. Does not even show display adapter in device manager,
only a yellow highlight in "other devices". Also when I can get it to install what adapter do I
select when installing the drivers, I did not see GeForce 4 only the GeForce 2 & 3 series and
NV25 (is this a GeForce 4). Help please

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hmmm you tried downloading the latest Nvidia 29.42 drivers,I believe you need 27.xx drivers or above for GF4 driver support,since the default ones in XP are only 12.xx something it`s probably that.

I presume you`re using Nvdia drivers not Gainward?

bulldog

Dec 10, 1999
Yes I tried the latest drivers, but when I run the .exe file and reboot, the card still
does not install and show as a display adapter in the device manager.

Furor

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2001
Try force installing through the Device Manager. You should extract all the contents of the zip into a folder on your desktop or somewhere.

Right click on my computer > Properties, then the hardware tab, then click on device manager, find the card, right click and update driver, now open the folder where you extracted the files and click on nv4_disp.inf

bulldog

Dec 10, 1999
I know you can do that with a .zip file but how do I force an installation with an self installing .exe file
that the new set of drivers are. When I run the .exe file the installation program runs and asks me to reboot
but the card is still not installed.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
From Nvidia website,
After installing my NVIDIA-based graphics card, every time Windows loads, I get an error stating that my graphics card is not installed properly. How can I fix this?

Check in your motherboard's BIOS for the option "Assign IRQ to VGA" and make sure it is enabled. If you do not see this option in your motherboard BIOS, please contact your system/motherboard manufacturer to see if this option is available on your system. All NVIDIA-based graphics cards need to have an assigned IRQ to operate correctly.Also, conflicts with drivers from previous graphics cards can also prevent the NVIDIA drivers from installing correctly. Please remove any drivers from previous graphics cards before installing the NVIDIA-based graphics card. If you are unsure how to do this, contact the manufacturer of your graphics card for assistance with removing their display drivers correctly.

Also check the GF4 card works ok in another PC,it could be faulty.

ASK THE COMMUNITY