Win XP 32 bit on Haswell build

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I know this sounds weird but hubby wants to:
1. Run old 32 bit drvices (Joystick, printer)
2. Play old games such as Wing commander prophecy w/o messing around with "virtual" schemes

We have a lot of old computer parts and win xp license. I think this idea will not work as he also likes to surf net and watch streaming videos.:rolleyes:
I think he should just put together another computer using old parts just for games.
Suggestions?

The Wife

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The last time I checked, Intel don't do XP / Vista graphics drivers. I had to stop doing Vista builds for a customer who had spare licences when Haswell came along for this reason.

This isn't a problem if you go for graphics hardware with XP drivers.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Although there's no XP Intel driver for the Intel video, the generic Microsoft video driver does work, at least for non-gaming purposes. A PCIe slot video card should still have XP drivers available.
An AHCI driver for installing XP on a Haswell machine must be integrated into the install disk, since there's no floppy disk available for supplying the AHCI driver. Otherwise, you'll need to change the bios setting for the disc controller from AHCI mode to IDE mode.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I think he should just put together another computer using old parts just for games.

If the parts are available then that's the best solution by far.

Or if something a little more modern is needed, I think there are still Kabini drivers available for XP.

Considering I've got XP running reasonably on a C60+SSD, Kabini should handle XP without issues.

Feb 25, 2011
I think this idea will not work as he also likes to surf net and watch streaming videos.:rolleyes:

I agree with you.

Otherwise, the above comments are dead on - legacy gaming rigs are limited by drivers as well as software, so you gotta do your homework or buy older gear.

If there are AMD APUs like Insert_Nickname mentioned that have XP support still, that would probably be ideal.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If there are AMD APUs like Insert_Nickname mentioned that have XP support still, that would probably be ideal.

I'm fairly certain Trinity/Richland has XP support too. Don't know about Kaveri, since I don't have one to test with.

There should be a decent chance of finding a Trinity/Richland APU somewhere. Combine with an FM2+ mainboard, and its likely the best XP is going to get.

Though one should consider dual booting to something more modern if web browsing is required.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I know this sounds weird but hubby wants to:
1. Run old 32 bit drvices (Joystick, printer)
2. Play old games such as Wing commander prophecy w/o messing around with "virtual" schemes

We have a lot of old computer parts and win xp license. I think this idea will not work as he also likes to surf net and watch streaming videos.:rolleyes:
Suggestions?

The Wife

What printer/joystick won't work on win 8.1?

Wing commander Prophecy can be bought on gog.com for something like $3 atm.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
What printer/joystick won't work on win 8.1?

Microsoft Sidewinder joystick, Old Cannon printer and scanner...no new drivers for 64 bit systems. Also, Wing Commander game not the only old game he likes. Plus our basement is cluttered with old computer parts! Time to put them to use. He will be building a new Haswell system...however I would like to see the basement cleaned up as well.

The Wife

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Microsoft Sidewinder joystick, Old Cannon printer and scanner...no new drivers for 64 bit systems.

I can't say for the Sidewinder joystick, but I actually managed to get an old Canon printer and scanner working under Win10 with some of the new class drivers. Despite there being no official x64 drivers available. Win10 has really surprised me in that regard. The amount of legacy stuff working without a hitch is just amazing, and its not even released yet.

Its worth a try at least. Also Win8/8.1/10 is still available in regular x86 flavour. So long as there is a Vista compatible driver, stuff should work fine with that.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If the game controller is USB, it should work on any modern version of Windows. I have a Gravis one with a gameport to USB adapter (which came with it), and apart from being hit-and-miss when initially detecting it, works fine.

I've had more problems with old USB scanners though (read ~>10 years old).

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
If the game controller is USB, it should work on any modern version of Windows. I have a Gravis one with a gameport to USB adapter (which came with it), and apart from being hit-and-miss when initially detecting it, works fine.

I've had more problems with old USB scanners though (read ~>10 years old).
The Sidewinders that aren't supported can have adapters made (Google 3DP-Vert), otherwise still work as well as when they came out of their box, and nothing else like them has yet to be manufactured, that isn't for industrial use. While they used the gameport, they were not regular analog sticks. If you have one of a low enough serial number, it will lack native USB support, and the USB adapter dongle you can easily find will not work (basically, if yours didn't come with a USB adapter in the box, buying one won't help).

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Try Windows 7 SP1 32-bit first. A lotta legacy stuff that won't work in 64-bit flavors will work (or can be made to work using compatibility settings) in 32-bit versions. Windows 7 32-bit will accept MANY drivers designed for Windows XP if installed manually (using the 'have disk' method). You don't even need to activate it or input a product key for 30 days, full access to Windows Updates, which is plenty long enough to test things. Worth a shot.

Last edited: