Win Media Center , Do I need it ?

jose

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Silverstone LC20-M case. It comes w/ a remote that is WMC compatabile.

I do have winXP Pro w/ sp2 on my computer. Will I have to get the WMC version to use the remote ?

thanks for the info.

Regards,
Jose

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
The short answer is 'Yes.' However, depending on what software you plan on running as in video viewing/sound , recording, playback etc., you may have some remote functionality.

jose

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
What about if I have Nero DVD player,powerDVD and Zoomplayer & FFDshow, sblive 5.1 ...and a 6800GT & 6600GT ..

So w/ the above hardware/software I'd have to use a wireless keyboard/mouse to work in the same fashion I'm running now ?

Otherwise I'd have to use WMC just to use the remote ?

Thanks for the help/info.

Regards,
Jose

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
The vid/sound cards don't really matter to the remote. The software does. If your remote emulates a few keystrokes, you might be able to use it to control other applications (PowerDVD, nero Home, zoom), but they'd probably be a lot easier to use with a kb/mouse. If the remote is 100% compatible with Windows Media Center, why not get it anyway? The Media Center app is optimized for TV and remote use anyway, and it's pretty user-friendly.