Win ME shut down problems.......

Nvidia2000

Jun 28, 2000
I'm running Win Me with my detonator 3 ( gefroce2 GTS ) , i think it's 6.18 verison... But whenever i shut down my computer, there's a blue screen that says" windows protection error, System Halted " WTF was that ? this happens whenever i shut down my computer and it is really annoying cause i have to press the power off. Is there any way to solve this issue ? this is really pissing me off...........

i'm using :
p3v4x (4.24 via driver, i tried 4.23...... same )
Geforce2 driver-6.18 detonator 3

bluntman

Aug 18, 2000
Do you have SB Live card? If you then that's your culprit. Try moving the soundcard to another PCI and it should cure your woes...it solved mine.

However, I can now shutdown, but I can't reboot.

Nvidia2000

Jun 28, 2000
i'm not using soundblaster live........
this is really pissing me off, it scan the hdd whenever i shutdown...... and the background error.. all that problems caused by shut down not properly..... man, can nvidia solve this ?

Psylent

Apr 17, 2000
do you have an illegal beta copy or an offical released copy?

i'm sure MS would love to hear from one of its beta testers...

hehe

Mr.Mike

Dec 30, 1999
I get the same exact message after I upgraded to the new 6.18 drivers - Strange. I also tried the 6.26 and also get the message, The 5.22's never gave me this error. Hopefully new drivers will fix this. I am running Win Me Final.

Also I get a strange message when I go to Windows Update stating my Internet Explorer is no longer supported by MS. WTF it's version 5.5!!!! Any Ideas?? - Mike

Here are my specs:

Asus P3V4X (1004 Beta Bios)
PIII 700e @ 910
Hercules GeForce2 GTS 64 Meg
128 Meg Crucial Cas2 Ram
SB Live MP3
2 Maxtor 40 Gig Hd's

rew

Jul 22, 2000
if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything. it makes you look like an idiot.

Mr.Mike

Dec 30, 1999
Emjem- That makes my problem worse, it will lock up the system. That shortcut also locks up another win me machine that runs perfectly fine.

Boxer -

<< Windows ME dosen't support SBlive >>

Yes, the SB-live does supoort Win ME it's just a little flakey

emjem

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
Mr. Mike

It works for several people I know. And while I never had the shutdown problem myself I am able to shut down with that command line. It's a nice shortcut.

If you're sure that you copied the command line correctly, then my next effort would be to try shutting down apps running in the background. One at a time until hopefully one is found to be causing the problem. Well, you prob know the routine. Control/Alt/Delete -- End Task. Haven't done this for awhile, but guess you have to keep Explorer and Systray running -- all others can be ended for the test.

I'm running WinME full version installed over WinFE and have Detonator3 Geforce2 GTS drivers loaded (for Creative). P3 600e OC'd to 800 (retail fan) on Asus P3V4X -- no problems of any kind with ME after 2 weeks.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I get the same error msg on occasion. Only after extensively long usage. If I boot up, goof a round for a bit then shut down no probelm, but if its on for hours and hours on end I get the BOSD identical to what you discribed)

why would you think its the video drivers? Does something magical happen to video drivers when your PC tries to shut down? I don't think so. It's not &quot;shifting any gears&quot; taht I know of during shutdown.

I have the same MB as you, so maybe THAT is the problem?

What amount of RAM do you have? I'm running with 256MB.

This a very annoying &quot;feature&quot; to say the least.

Mr.Mike

Dec 30, 1999
The reason I belive it's the video drives because when I switch back to the 5.xx series of drivers I do not get the error message with the 6.xx and above it comes right back. Everything else is running great! :):):)

RayEarth

Apr 15, 2000
using a tnt2 ultra with the 6.26 drivers &amp; with nothing overclocked except the cpu fsb, since my MB has official support for 133fsb &amp; ram is pc133, i've had 2 lockups with no error messages which could only be fixed is by push the reset button. I have a sblive x-gamer &amp; i know the addition of the FSAA feature caused one of my game to lockup while AOE2 has no problems, the 2nd lockup occured right after i stopped playing AOE2 &amp; decided to turn off my computer &amp; it hanged in a blank screen right before it should say &quot;it's safe to turn off the computer now&quot; &amp; when i push the reset because ctrl+alt+del doesn't work on hard lockups, it didn't do a scandisk probably because it didn't even know it locked up &amp; when i did a manual scan there was no errors either, but besides these 2 lockups, i've had no error messages.