Win 8 Media Center install problems info

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Just so everyone knows, Microsoft is currently experiencing issues where many people cannot install the Media Center add on for Windows 8. The install fails and the system rolls back. There is no ETTR.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It is the exact same one as in Win7. It is a paid add on unless you get it quickly. MS has a site where they are giving it away for free until January. Also, you must have Win8 Pro to install WMC at all.

An update. I used the live chat again today - the first tech I spoke to actually lied to me. If it does not install then something is broken on the PC - it is not a known issue. The tech spent 4 hours trying to fix it (remotely controlling my PC) and failed, so he is having a tier 2 tech call me and work on it on Monday...that is if PA is still around after the hurricane hits.
wink.gif

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Exact same although I remember reading earlier that the option to start it automatically at boot (and something else I thought) were removed. Ugh. Sticking with my working 7MC setup for now.

EZorb

Dec 19, 2012
att Uverse using Cisco STB ipn330hd & Hauppauge HVR-1600 tuners

My issue with WMC8 is the following:
MS data base in WMC8 Set Up does not list either Motorola or Cisco STB that Uverse uses. (How old is this)
Then you must use the Manual IR Learn method. WMC8 will not accept any of the remotes code numbers. (It appears that they want IPTV locked out for some reason) WMC8 in earlier setup steps testing signal will produce sound and picture.

MS elevated this issue to higher level support who called at 4:00 pm and worked on my system remotely until after 10:00 pm. Finally quitting to do more research and will call back today at 4:00 pm. Will post the results,

So what was the results of the original post where MS working on issue?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I got my WMC8 keys like 2 weeks ago and installed them just fine. I don't use wmc very often, just made sure I got them free with both my w8 installs. It plays my movies just fine though.