Win 8 & DC discussion thread

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by petrusbroder, Oct 29, 2012.

1. petrusbroder

petrusbroder Lifer

Let us use this thread to discuss problems, features, speed, RAM-requirements and what-ever comes to mind when crunching DC-projects using computers with Win 8. :colbert:

I have today downloaded and installed Win 8 Pro on one of my crunchers. I am using the latest BOINC-version (7.0.28, 64-bit) and running WCG, Einstein@home, LHC, Seti and Collatz.
    The computer is an i7-860 running @ 3.4 GHz on an ASUS-mobo (forget which ... :rolleyes: ), 6 GByte of RAM and two Radeon 7850 GPUs. A standard 1.5TB HDD and DVD-RW.
    As of the last 3 hours no problems at all; all WUs have gone through well and I have the impression that the crunching time for each WU is not so much different.

2. Rattledagger

Rattledagger Elite Member

Hmm, was under the impression you'll need atleast BOINC v7.0.31 to not run into problems with win8, and personally I would recommend to use v7.0.36 until something better is released.

3. petrusbroder

petrusbroder Lifer

Well, it may be so ... but for the past 12 hours no problems yet ...
    I'll update the BOINC probably later today.

4. petrusbroder

petrusbroder Lifer

OK, I have run BOINC version 7.0.28 without any problems for 28 hours. MilkyWay, LHC, WCG all worked. I have noted the following:
    I have had more errors than usually om MilkyWay - usually I have none - now I have had som 50 WUs with errors. OTOH more WUs than that have completed correctly.
    I have had no errors on WCG, and LHC, both of which have completed a number WUs.
    The computer has not yet reported any Seti-WUs, but that will come in time ...

I have now upgraded to version 7.0.31 and will run that for a time ...

#4 petrusbroder, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. Plimogz

Plimogz Senior member

when was the last time you checked up your MW@H WUs and errors? because they've been generating quite a few errors for a while now -- upwards of a couple of weeks, iirc. Before this I virtually never had erroneous WUs, but for a little while there have been regular errors.

Sunny129 has a thread about it on the first page of the DC forum.

6. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

yep...no worries Peter - your Milkyway errors are not Windows 8 related, nor are they unique to you. if you look closely at your errors, you'll note that all your wingmen's tasks are erroring out too.

7. petrusbroder

petrusbroder Lifer

I am aware of the MW-errors, but statistically looking, the errors seem to be more frequent in the Win8-computer. OTOH, that may have been a random variation too ...

Anyhow, all other projects show no problems at all ... as it should be, I think.

8. Fullmetal Chocobo

Fullmetal Chocobo Moderator<br>Distributed Computing

I have a general question, of which I have not been able to find out otherwise. Is there any reason for WIndows 8, sans touch-screen setups? It is incompatible with VMware, so I haven't been able to setup a VM with it, and I refuse to replace my desktop config (win7) just to try it. I do have Hyper-V running on my server now though, so I might try it on there. But so far, Windows 8 seems rather pointless, unless I am missing something.

9. biodoc

biodoc Diamond Member

There have been some changes "under the hood".

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-desktop-users-should-upgrade-from-windows-7

If you don't like the tablet style desktop, you can install this app: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Works great as it bypasses the "tablet desktop" to a "normal" desktop and adds a classic start menu which can be customized.

10. Philippart

Philippart Golden Member

I am using Start8 for a few weeks now and I can really recommend it http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

And yes, even though my laptop is non-touch and I don't like the new interface, windows 8 has benefits. I really like the fast wakeup/start, the new taskmanager and the battery life improved by a lot.

I am however still batteling with their apps, skype, web browsers, weather app on permanent full screen does not allow multitasking. I have uninstalled almost all of them...

11. biodoc

biodoc Diamond Member

12. biodoc

biodoc Diamond Member