Win 8.1 Notebook 'Power Options - Edit Plan Settings - Turn Off the Display' not functioning propery

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm running Windows 8.1 right now, and I'm having a problem with setting the options under the 'Control Panel - System and Security - Power Options - Edit Plan Settings - Turn Off the Display' menu.

I'd like to take one of the preexisting power plans, specifically the HP Recommended plan (I have an HP computer), and change the 'Turn Off Display' to 1 minute under the 'Plugged in' heading.

However, whenever I do this, the screen doesn't turn off after 1 minute.

It sometimes doesn't turn off at all.

Other times, it'll turn off after some indeterminate amount of time after which when attempting to bring the screen back up I'm never prompted for a password at all.

In this situation, the log-in screen flashes quickly with my user name displayed and the word 'locked' displayed underneath it.

However, no password field is displayed at all and the screen just comes right back.

Obviously, there's no security.

I know that I can manually lock the screen with ctrl+alt+delete; that function still works.

But I'd like to know what's wrong with the OS and fix it.

Any ideas about how to fix the problem?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sometimes there is conflict between the OEM power settings and Windows settings. If possible, put the same setting on both. That usually only happens with pre-builts or notebooks that are pre-packaged. I assume HP has power settings like my Lenovo does.

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Sometimes there is conflict between the OEM power settings and Windows settings. If possible, put the same setting on both.

How do I do that?

How do I find what the OEM power settings are?

There was a default configuration for the power settings under the HP recommended power profile.

There is also an option to reset the power settings to the default values.

Is this what you're talking about?

If so, don't you think that it's a bit ridiculous to have to use default values and not be able to set custom values of your own?

Windows is just so buggy.....

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I don't know how HP does it, but Lenovo has a set of tools. In that set is a power management setup. Then Windows also has it, and you'd think that they would interact, but that does not always happen.

That only happens in my Lenovo Thinkpad. My fix is simple - I set the monitor to ALWAYS ON. Whenever I leave the area, I press the monitor on/off switch and just turn it off. It never fails.

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
I don't know how HP does it, but Lenovo has a set of tools. In that set is a power management setup. Then Windows also has it, and you'd think that they would interact, but that does not always happen.

That only happens in my Lenovo Thinkpad. My fix is simple - I set the monitor to ALWAYS ON. Whenever I leave the area, I press the monitor on/off switch and just turn it off. It never fails.

I don't think that I have a monitor off button.

I guess I'll just manually lock the screen from now on with crtl+alt+delete.

Bummer, though.

I'd expected things to work more smoothly.

Last edited:

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Never hear of a monitor that did not have a power switch. Try lower right corner.

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Never hear of a monitor that did not have a power switch. Try lower right corner.

Oh, you were talking about a desktop.

I should have mentioned that I have a laptop.

As far as I know, they aren't made with separate power buttons for the monitor.

So, on your desktop, turning the monitor off and on brings the password prompt up?

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That is correct. Had you identified it as a laptop to start with, I would probably have moved it to the laptop forum. :)

Laptops have more power options than desktops. Example, what happens when you close the lid? Displays can power off, sleep, or hibernate. When on battery power, they can be set to lower brightness.

OK - I edited the title and will move it to the notebook forum.