win 8.1 - how to get rid of desktop/documents etc under "this PC" in my computer?"

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
found reg keys to remove for the ones that show up above the drives but that didn't remove the useless space wasting links on the left side menu.

any ideas how to remove these?

on the left hand menu :

Windows_8_1_This_PC_Explorer.png

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
just click the arrow next to This PC to close them

and for the love of God, rename This PC to computer by hitting F2 on your keyboard after selecting ThisPC Ison on your desktop

ThisPC sounds so lame to be honest

offcourse it's THIS PC not THAT PC! LOL

PS: the image you show still has the icons above the drive so what the heck?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
just click the arrow next to This PC to close them

and for the love of God, rename This PC to computer by hitting F2 on your keyboard after selecting ThisPC Ison on your desktop

ThisPC sounds so lame to be honest

offcourse it's THIS PC not THAT PC! LOL

PS: the image you show still has the icons above the drive so what the heck?

i was more annoyed that they changed that and turned off libraries [you can easily turn them back on if you prefer, i am still on the fence about it]

i am infinitely annoyed that the windows 8 team stole my *&^*%& one note win+s screen clip shortcut

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
so collapse it? how do i then get my local drives in the same place?

i want the drives there but not the extra crap

as you might gather from the mark on the bottom left of the image i borrowed the pic of the interwebby so not mine.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
very. biggest microsoft problem. not that they add crap like this and metro but that they refuse to let you have an option to disable it and have it the way you want