Win 7 upgrade from a broken XP installation?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by okalex, May 2, 2012.

1. okalex

okalex Member

I read that Windows 7 upgrade media will install a fully functional OS only on machines with some previous version of windows installed, but does that installation have to be a functioning one?

I am wondering if I first need to fix things that don't work in an existing XP installation before I can make a clean install (there is no data I need to keep there) using a win 7 upgrade DVD, or if the installation should work as long as the win 7 installation process can detect a previous OS.

What kind of problem in the old OS (except, obviously, not being a genuine/licensed installation) could prevent successful installation of Windows 7 using a Win 7 upgrade CD?

2. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

Not true, at least in my experience. I've installed a Win7 upgrade licence on a blank disk via the DVD without it acting any differently to a normal install.

You wouldn't be able to do an 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 anyway AFAIK, and my certainty increases if we're talking from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7.

3. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Just do the double-install trick, and blow away the buggy XP install.

However, you can leave it on there, and select "Custom" (not "Upgrade"), and delete the partition and re-create it when you install Win7.

4. okalex

okalex Member

Thanks for your answers. I am asking this question because the upgrade information by Microsoft says the following:

From which it seems that the upgrade media must be able to detect the installation of the old OS for the installation to succeed, so maybe something wrong with the old OS might make it see to the installation process that the old OS is not present.

5. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

I don't think I even had to do the double-install trick, though admittedly I would have blown partitions away first (don't forget to back up... duh :)). Can't definitely remember. Though I am fairly sure that it has been years since I last had to do double-install Vista install tricks, and I did a WIn7 'upgrade' less than a year ago.

#5 mikeymikec, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  6. grss1982

grss1982 Junior Member

If you have a working O.S.: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/171382-clean-install-windows-7-windows-xp-desktop.html

If you don't have a working O.S.: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html