Win 7 Pro Maximum Boot Disk Size ??

NJLOAD

Jun 8, 2001
My 500 gig boot drive is full to the max so I want to clone it to a larger drive. My question is what is the maximum size I can use for the boot drive?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If you are using MBR, you are good to 2TB.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
If I clone my existing drive to a 2TB that would be MBR correct?

By default, the easiest upgrade path for you would be a 2TB drive.

Any drive of any size can also be configured to use GPT, so you don't have to use MBR if you don't want to. There are many tools out there that can help you clone your MBR install to a GPT disk, so if you want to go larger, you can.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
By default, the easiest upgrade path for you would be a 2TB drive.

Any drive of any size can also be configured to use GPT, so you don't have to use MBR if you don't want to. There are many tools out there that can help you clone your MBR install to a GPT disk, so if you want to go larger, you can.
You can also add GPT data drives to any Win 7 PC even if you have a MBR boot drive. So you can buy any sized drive, configure it to use GPT, and you are set.

Don't you need a UEFI/EFI mobo to have a GPT boot drive? And a BIOS mode to use the MBR boot drive?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Don't you need a UEFI/EFI mobo to have a GPT boot drive? And a BIOS mode to use the MBR boot drive?

1) Yes.
2) Not necessarily. UEFI includes a legacy BIOS interpreter, so you can boot an MBR drive. However, you can not install Windows in UEFI mode on an MBR drive. GPT is required. Linux is more flexible in that regard.