Win 7: New ssd but still boots from old ssd?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
desktop (amd phenom II x4)

old ssd = 120gig = d: drive
new ssd = 240gig = c: drive

installed Win7 on the new ssd while the old ssd was still plugged in.
told the install that the new ssd is the boot drive.

but when I remove the 120gig, the desktop wont boot.
apparently, the desktop is still booting from the 120gig but using the 240gig as the c: drive.

I want to remove the 120gig.
how do I boot off the 240gig???

thx

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Boot an installation media, hit SHIFT+F10 to get a Command Prompt, type BCDEDIT.EXE /FIXMBR and BCDEDIT.EXE /FIXBOOT

(I think, it's been awhile since I've had to do this)

Edit: I think that you have to boot off of DVD. I had issues doing the above with a USB boot, it tried to fix the boot sector on the USB, not the HDD, when I tried USB boot.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Sounds like setup did not create a system partition on the new drive so is using the one on the old to boot. With the old one plugged so you can boot, follow these steps.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Sounds like setup did not create a system partition on the new drive so is using the one on the old to boot. With the old one plugged so you can boot, follow these steps.

I used the program and it worked.
but that program's website is kinda sketchy.

after you click download free program, you are redirected to another page where it seems you have to click on a box to actually start the downloading.
but in reality it's a cleverly disguised ad to download a speedup program, whatever that is. :mad:

anyway, I probably could have gotten what I needed by just following the 'Move system reserve partition' part of your linked page instead of the 'clone system reserved partition" part.

the former is using Microsoft's built in diskmgmt.msc program and just copy/paste the 'system reserved partition' files to new ssd.

(the latter is using their program.)

Last edited: