Win 7: Moving User and ProgramData AFTER installation — any problems?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by Blaq, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Blaq

Blaq Junior Member

I just got a NAS and am finally setting up a backup routine. My PC came with one big C: partition, where my data files are stored. The rational thing is to separate them from the OS and applications. I don't want to reinstall everything just to start fresh and be given a chance to specify the location of my user files.

The recipe at http://superuser.com/questions/84536/moving-windows-7-programdata-folder-after-installation seems straightforward enough. (From a Repair environment, move the folders to D :, set up two junction links and regedit the ProfileImagePath value for each user.)

Still, I need to double-check: has anyone encountered problems after doing this? Thanks!

2. Loading...