Win 7/8 keys activating Windows 10

Oct 29, 2015
I'm on the hunt for any official info on if there is a cut off date (if there is one) for when Windows 7 and Windows 8 product keys will no longer activate a Windows 10 install. I've got a number of clients that are starting to get jittery for having to budget for these upgrades.
I'm still looking online to see if I can find this info and will post if I find it on my own.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
MS has allowed installations using previous keys for over a year now without an announced time limit.The policy is under wraps perhaps ?
So it appears that "Mum's the word". Haha, I actually called Mum! She said. " it will last, since its more valuable to have all the sheep in one barn than strung out in several pens". Mum's a genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
AFAIK genuine retail Lic. of Win7/8 still work.

OEM, and other "special" LIc., would not.

:cool:

Oct 29, 2015
I know they still work for the moment, I was wondering if anyone had seen an official or even rumored date. It would help me plan out when I will be upgrading their PCs.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Best thing to do is make an image of your current windows 7 or 8 install. Do the upgrade to 10 and image again for safekeeping. After the upgrade/activation you can re-image back to 7 or 8. This is what I did with my 2 - windows 8.1 machines.

Reactions: jacktheripper88