win 7.1 robocopy

dbarton

Apr 11, 2002
I'm using Robocopy in Windows 7 to copy a whole drive to another for regular backups.
I'm having that issue with the nested Application Data directories that go on forever.
I've read many google searches and none of the solutions seems to work.

My goal : robocopy all of C: to D:\backup, only copying changed files.

Does someone have the Robocopy commands that actually work?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Actually, I also appreciate it. I was steered toward the GUI interface originating from RoboCopy, or RichCopy 4.0. It may be downloadable from the MS sites still.

I insist on keeping file and folder backups for important files that change or receive frequent additions. This has a lot less of concern for my workstations, and more importance for my WHS11 server. Server backs up the workstations nightly -- all the disk volumes except DVR media storage. But there are many important files and documents I don't save to local workstation storage, but directly to the server.

So once a week or so, I back up particular folders on my Stablebit Pool's virtual drive to a hotswap disk. Until I rebuild my server (still have to install 2012 R2 Essentials), I use a set of 500GB IDE drives, caddies and my only IDE hotswap bay with a DIY-wired IDE-to-SATA adapter. the adapter is wired to a fan port on the drive bay using a 5V regulator to convert the 12V, and allows the SATA adapter to switch on and off with the keyswitch on the caddy or bay. This makes it possible for me to "safely remove" properly. It's old media, but they've barely had a couple year's use, and are only spun up for maybe two hours at a time.

What I forgot to say: RichCopy doesn't seem to work on WHS'11 anymore. I finally got a licensed download from 2BrightSparks' SyncBackFree Pro, which works with that windows version.

Last edited: