Win 10 Wireless card keeps resetting. Event 10400

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Running Win Ent. 10 version 2004 (previously 1909)

Ok about 10 days ago I had an explorer crash and this is when I started having problems. The wifi light on my keyboard would change to orange (normally white) to indirect that wireless was off. However when I would click on the wireless icon in the system tray wifi would show it was still on. I in fact had lost connectivity. I could fix this by clicking the network troubleshooting button. Wifi would work for 1-2 days or sometimes only for a few minutes before it went out again. I tried deleting and letting windows re-detect the wireless card. I tried upgrading the driver. Still the same issues. I finally upgraded to version 2004 yesterday thinking that would overwrite whatever corruption that was caused by the crash but I just got my first connectivity drop a few minutes ago. What's different now is that wireless actually came back on it's own which is a good thing. This is the message I am seeing in the log. "The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset x time(s) since it was last initialized." Source is 'NDIS' and the event id '10400'. What is causing this and how can I fix?

EDIT: Just did it again. This is so frustrating!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Could be a signal-strength problem with your router. How old is your router, and have you ever changed out the power brick / wall-wart PSU on it?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I probably can make a list of 30 issues that will cause this behavior.

Since you did not describe any thing about your network and the hardware (beside given the wireless card model number) there is No definite (or even may be answer).

In general the "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has Not so good reputation.

You can disable the card and get something like this and see what the result would be.

Amazon.com: TP-Link Nano AC600 USB Wifi Adapter(Archer T2U Nano)- 2.4G/5G Dual Band Wireless Network Adapter for PC Desktop, Mini Travel Size, Supports Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP / Mac OS X 10.9-10.14: Computers & Accessories

If you use nano USB plug it to a front USB jack.

If your current card Antenna is stuck between the Computer and thr wall elevate the Antenna above the computer so the signal is Not disturbed.

:cool:

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U router running tomato firmware. I running a HP Envy laptop. This card has been running fine in my laptop for years until the crash I described. I forgot to mention, that before I upgraded to 2004 I did a system restore to back before I had the crash and it still didn't fix the problem.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U router running tomato firmware. I running a HP Envy laptop. This card has been running fine in my laptop for years until the crash I described. I forgot to mention, that before I upgraded to 2004 I did a system restore to back before I had the crash and it still didn't fix the problem.

Hook up to wired ethernet, remove wifi nic from device manager, reboot, it should reinitialize and reinstall. Worst case you need to replace wifi nic.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Hook up to wired ethernet, remove wifi nic from device manager, reboot, it should reinitialize and reinstall. Worst case you need to replace wifi nic.
I've done this. So you think this is a hardware issue?