Win 10 update scenario

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
Can anyone critique this reasoning please.

I'm perfectly happy with my 7 install. Want to get 10 going and start getting up to speed. Resized my working partition to make a blank partition. System Imaged 7 to my NAS drive. Now I want to restore that System Image to the blank partition, and assuming it works well, update the original partition to 10.

1) Can I restore that SI to the blank partition from the NAS? I'm not finding much that talks about how to do this.

2) How will the computer, or MS for that matter, feel about two installs of the same license on the same drive?

3) Is there a better way to handle this to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks, as always.

ignatzatsonic

Nov 20, 2006
1: I've made and restored images, but never from an NAS. I wouldn't think the procedure would be much different. I don't know what app you are using to to make the images, but I'd use something like Macrium.

2: I think MS will frown, assuming you have just one Win 7 license and then used the free upgrade to Win 10, if both are activated. I don't know how well it will work out in actual practice, leaving aside the legalities.

3: Looks like you want to dual boot 7 and 10. Generally speaking, I'd try to use 2 separate hard drives if possible and I'd certainly have 2 licenses.

All I've ever dual-booted is Linux and Win 7, but I've always heard that if you are dual booting 2 versions of Windows, it's better to get the older one going first.

Last edited:

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
i was indeed concerned about the dual systems on one license, and a second drive is easy enough. I'm sure I'm not alone in my concerns about bricking a good working primary system while exploring the reality of installing and working in 10 sucessfully. I'm sure MS has NO concerns about MY concerns, so I don't mind working around their license requirements if I can. Subversive talk for sure, so sorry MS. If I can make this work, will report. Thanks for your input.