win 10 start menu

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
ok, why does the win 10 start menu keep breaking?

it seems to only happen when my wife uses the pc, and all shes does is facebook

i fix it, and then it breaks again

is there a permanent fix for this?

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
its a common issue, the start button just wont work when you click on it

which forum is correct?

and what info would you like

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The win10 start menu is weird, all the useful stuff is in the right click menu (had no idea till someone else mentioned it), which is normally suppose to be used for contextual stuff like properties. Get the program Classic Shell, it makes it better, and it may even fix the issue at same time as a bonus.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The win10 start menu is weird, all the useful stuff is in the right click menu (had no idea till someone else mentioned it), which is normally suppose to be used for contextual stuff like properties. Get the program Classic Shell, it makes it better, and it may even fix the issue at same time as a bonus.

^^ Agreed

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
no she uses chrome as a browser

i use powershell and this line to reinstall apps
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i dont even think the rt click works on the button when it breaks
heck the search button wont even work

i reran windows media creation and had it repair the install, will see if this sticks

if not i may have to do a fresh install
or block facebook

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That has happened to me on occasion in Win7 64-bit as well.

Mouse won't click on start button no matter what.

Have to hit CTRL+ESC on keyboard to bring up Start Menu, then hit ESC to dismiss, and then you can click on it with the mouse again.

Yayo3p

Mar 11, 2015
I ran into an issue where I could not open my Start menu at all. Not even if I right clicked to get the admin features. My fix was my antivirus (Avast). I had to uninstall it. At the time I read other articles with people also having that problem with other antivirus programs.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
no she uses chrome as a browser

i use powershell and this line to reinstall apps
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Don't do that, the above can break more things!

Very first thing I would try is MS's own troubleshooter: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/startmenu.diagcab
In theory, that should be able t fix it.

Is this a upgrade, or a clean install of 10? If upgrade, I would clean install.
If that is out of the question (even if it does fix 99.9999% of the issues) then do this command in an elevated command prompt: sfc /SCANNOW
If that shows all is fine, then try this in an elevated command prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth then reboot when that is done.

If neither of those fix the issue, then clean install seems to be the only sane fix, since the command you do above can and does break other windows functionality.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would check the system file integrity to make sure that something hasn't been corrupted. Run a command prompt in admin mode and type sfc /scannow and let it finish after which look at the results.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
sfc /scannow was run each time it happened before anything else, no issues ever found

so far the fix via windows media creation has worked, will know if it ever happens again

its an update of win10 pro over win 7 ultimate

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
happened again

sfc /scan now - no issues

microsoft troubleshooter - did not fix

reran windows 10 installer, and its fixed

i see a format in my future

the only common thing i see is facebook use
there must be some script in some ad that does breaks something

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
This start button issue happened to me too. Don't know why, as it continues to work fine on other machines. However, for this particular PC I couldn't update Windows 10 either to 1511. It just kept on failing, so obviously there was something borked about it.

Eventually I just "upgraded" my Windows 10 which was an older build to Windows 10 1511 using the 1511 DVD install disk. That worked, and fixed the start button issue too.

Even though it was a Windows 10 to Windows 10 upgrade, it left me with a Windows.old directory just like if I had upgraded from Windows 7. The benefit is it kept all my applications and setting intact, but with a fresh install. I wonder if this is a better solution than a Windows 10 repair.