Win 10 PC wifi slow, cell phone fast

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
Hi, recently I've had issues with my win 10 PC's wifi go slow while my cell phone (note 8) goes fast. After some speedtests, the PC went 1.89 mbps down and 1.69 mbps up. The cell phone went 65.69 mbps down and 11.58 mbps up. Also, my ps4 went faster too at 17.50 mbps down and 0.45 mbps up (I think the upload may have been better on my ps4 before).

I have Cox Internet and my PC was doing fine until just recently, perhaps the past week or so. I know I recently got the creators update installed, I wonder if that did anything. Before the update or maybe 2 weeks ago or longer this issue was not occurring.

Does anyone know what the issue could be and if there's a solution?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, wait for your wifi driver to get updated for FCU. Yours is not the first complaint that I've heard about network performance on FCU.

Reactions: bball1523

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
Yeah, wait for your wifi driver to get updated for FCU. Yours is not the first complaint that I've heard about network performance on FCU.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

I tested my win 10 laptop which I don't think has the creators update and it was going really fast for down and I think comparable up speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Or just buy a cheap USB Wifi dongle. Those 3x3 "AUKEY" ones on ebay work just fine with Win10.

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
I tried rolling back to the regular creators update and it still gives me the same slow wifi speeds. I also tried deleting the driver and reinstalling it, but that didn't work.

I have a Rosewill wireless 150n wifi card installed. It doesn't say it supports win 10, but it worked with win 10 before the recent updates or maybe the first creators update.

I don't know what to do. This wasn't an issue until recently. My phone, laptop, and ps4 give me fast speeds, but the desktop seems to be capped somehow.

An odd thing did occur late last night. The speeds went up to 20-30 mbps down. But trying this afternoon, the speeds went back to slow 1-2 mbps.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I ask again, is there some reason to believe the Aukey cards have drivers that were updated for FCU but his Rosewill card does not? Or that it's even a driver issue?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As it happens, I'm on 1709 FCU, and I have an AUKEY AC1750 adapter plugged into my USB3.0 hub.

I used the AUKEY to connect to my AC68R running Tomato on 5Ghz, then disabled my gigabit ethernet.

Speedtest on my Comcast 15/2 connection, was 14/1.5. A little low, but OK. (I think I enabled QoS on the router.)

Connected to my gigabit NAS over the 5Ghz wifi, I get a solid 29.8MB/sec or 255Mbit/sec connection to my NAS using the AUKEY.

No dropouts while listening to streaming radio over the AUKEY either, while copying from the NAS to the local SSD.

I think that one of these would solve the OP's problem. (Edit: Unless the problem is in his router / gateway, in which case, buying an AP and connecting LAN-to-LAN would solve that problem too.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't know about that, but for me, these AUKEY have always just worked, with the out-of-box included Win10 driver. Also, PremierTek 8812AU-based USB3.0 Wifi work good too. But the AUKEY is 8814AU, 3x3, so it's newer, and it's actually cheaper if you look around.

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
I don't think it's the router. I think it's either the win 10 cu and fcu or the internal rosewill adapter. My win 10 laptop gets fast speeds, but it's not upgraded to cu or fcu.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I don't know about that, but for me, these AUKEY have always just worked, with the out-of-box included Win10 driver. Also, PremierTek 8812AU-based USB3.0 Wifi work good too. But the AUKEY is 8814AU, 3x3, so it's newer, and it's actually cheaper if you look around.

Right, so my point is we have no info right now that points to faulty hardware and the idea that updated drivers are needed due to FCU has no basis in fact that I'm aware of. The HTPC at the house has exhibited similar behavior and it doesn't have the FCU. My two computers that do have the FCU have had no issues.

I don't think it's the router. I think it's either the win 10 cu and fcu or the internal rosewill adapter. My win 10 laptop gets fast speeds, but it's not upgraded to cu or fcu.

Boot off a Linux live disk and see what kind of speeds you get. If your adapter is the RNX-N150PCE, that's a 2.4Ghz only adapter. If 2.4Ghz is saturated and your other devices support 5Ghz, that would also explain a difference in speed. Make sure the antenna is still screwed in all the way. Given you've reported sometimes the speeds are higher, see what kind of background activity the slow PC has going on. IE is it downloading updates.

That's not what I'd call a quality card so it's possible it's just toast. However, I prefer to eliminate the free options before buying new hardware.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Few months. I mean, I don't think it's guaranteed that they degrade, but I had one of them that exhibited sudden extreme performance decreases. Also had some N150 "nano" dongles, real generic ones with Realtek chipset, and one of them did something similar. I had a bunch of them, and some of them would only give me less than 5Mbit/sec, and some of them would give me 20-40Mbit/sec. Same router, same distance.

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
Few months. I mean, I don't think it's guaranteed that they degrade, but I had one of them that exhibited sudden extreme performance decreases. Also had some N150 "nano" dongles, real generic ones with Realtek chipset, and one of them did something similar. I had a bunch of them, and some of them would only give me less than 5Mbit/sec, and some of them would give me 20-40Mbit/sec. Same router, same distance.
Is it better to get an internal Wi-Fi card or an external usb plug?

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
I bought an edimax ac1200 usb Wi-Fi adapter and it still is giving me low speeds. I got 2.21 mbps down and 1.68 mbps up. I tried my note 8 and it went over 40 mbps down and around 11 mbps up.

I wonder if this is a win 10 cu and fcu update issue.

Anyone else have any advice on what I can do to fix this slow internet issue?

pad23amg

Oct 12, 2017
I tried rolling back to the regular creators update and it still gives me the same slow wifi speeds. I also tried deleting the driver and reinstalling it, but that didn't work.
recently I've had issues with my win 10 PC's wifi go slow while my cell phone (note 8) goes fast. After some speedtests, the PC went 1.89 mbps down and 1.69 mbps up. The cell phone went 65.69 mbps down and 11.58 mbps up. Also, my ps4 went faster too at 17.50 mbps down and 0.45 mbps up. SpeedStream does not give full speed as per ISP says..
Boot off a Linux live disk and see what kind of speeds you get. If your adapter is the RNX-N150PCE, that's a 2.4Ghz only adapter. If 2.4Ghz is saturated and your other devices support 5Ghz, that would also explain a difference in speed. Make sure the antenna is still screwed in all the way. Given you've reported sometimes the speeds are higher, see what kind of background activity the slow PC has going on. Lower resources may slow down Windows 10 computer. Software conflicts can make your computer restart automatically. IE is it downloading updates.
. https://www.corenetworkz.com/2019/02/setup-siemens-speedstream-modem-with.html I know I recently got the creators update installed, I wonder if that did anything. Before the update or maybe 2 weeks ago or longer this issue was not occurring.
Have you checked whether there any obstacles between your PC and the WiFi router ? Can you experience the same speed on your Note 8 when you sit near your PC ?

Last edited:

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
Have you checked whether there any obstacles between your PC and the WiFi router ? Can you experience the same speed on your Note 8 when you sit near your PC ?
There is a wall, desk, and other items in between the pc and router. But these obstacles weren't an issue over a month ago as I got good speeds. It seems to have occurred after I did two creators updates.

My note 8 gets great speeds when I'm near my pc.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Have you checked what the signal interference/congestion is like where the slow computer is at? Somebody in our neighborhood has a Nighthawk router that I have to assume has been modified to allow for higher signal strength because we're getting a clear signal in our house and it's at least two houses away. I had to move all my stuff to a different channel recently because the HTPC which is on the closer side of the house was having similar issues to what you're describing. If you don't have one, download a free wifi analyzer tool on your Note 8 (simply because a phone is easier to walk around with) and see what the signals look like around your place. The icon Windows gives you isn't very accurate/reliable.

I hate to say it but the new adapter you bought doesn't really eliminate any options as the antenna is basically non-existent on that so signal strength isn't great. Like @sdifox said, get a PCIe adapter. Better heat dissipation, larger antenna's.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCI-Express-Beamforming-Archer-T9E/dp/B00TQEX7AQ

I've got one of the AC1900's and two of the N900's. Also keep in mind that 5Ghz has a harder time getting through walls, so you may be better off with 2.4Ghz.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If there is just one wall between pc and router, why not drill a hole and put a cable through?

bball1523

Jun 26, 2005
Have you checked what the signal interference/congestion is like where the slow computer is at? Somebody in our neighborhood has a Nighthawk router that I have to assume has been modified to allow for higher signal strength because we're getting a clear signal in our house and it's at least two houses away. I had to move all my stuff to a different channel recently because the HTPC which is on the closer side of the house was having similar issues to what you're describing. If you don't have one, download a free wifi analyzer tool on your Note 8 (simply because a phone is easier to walk around with) and see what the signals look like around your place. The icon Windows gives you isn't very accurate/reliable.

I hate to say it but the new adapter you bought doesn't really eliminate any options as the antenna is basically non-existent on that so signal strength isn't great. Like @sdifox said, get a PCIe adapter. Better heat dissipation, larger antenna's.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCI-Express-Beamforming-Archer-T9E/dp/B00TQEX7AQ

I've got one of the AC1900's and two of the N900's. Also keep in mind that 5Ghz has a harder time getting through walls, so you may be better off with 2.4Ghz.
I haven't checked for any interference or congestion, but my laptop which is currently sitting on top of my desktop gets fast speeds with Wi-Fi. So I don't think it's an interference or congestion issue.

I think it may be a Windows update issue. Does anyone know how I can go back to the anniversary update 1607? I tried rolling back an update, but I think it only took me to the 1st creators update and the Wi-Fi issue still persisted. I tried going back to the roll back option and it didn't give me an option to go back to the 1607 update.