Win 10 Install and Upgrade-Preview Future Release 1703. Aka Creators Edition.

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I finally upgraded the desktop in my sig a couple days ago. Too many programs to install and files to transfer for a full install, right now anyway.

It wasn't as simple as the laptop, which was just used occasionally for web and email.

The biggest problem I had came from using Windows Backup. I noticed that Windows 10 nuked the backup I had set up, and when I went in to start a new one, windows said it couldn't make the task (or something to that effect).

Imaging my surprise when I go into task scheduler and find dozens of "broken" tasks. And there was a wide range from Asus to Microsoft to I-wasn't-quite-sure-what-they-were tasks. It took some time last night, but I was finally able to get rid of all of them and created my Backup, pointing to the same place it was. Once I did, it showed all my old backups, just like it hadn't been touched.

So I said all that to say this - Windows told me about two programs that were incompatible, yet it couldn't tell me that there were items in device manager it no longer had drivers for, that it nuked my backup program, and it couldn't just nuke tasks that no longer work after the upgrade. Really MS?

The one good part is that it the OS ran my major programs just fine and none of my user files or preferences in those apps were lost.

Last edited:

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
I upgraded my hobo RIG from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (clean install) and was getting freeze / lockup from what cold-boot. Finally traced it to the "ENHANCED C-STATES" option in the BIOS, with it enabled - computer would sometime freeze (no BSOD). Disabled, A-OK! SpeedStep and C1E is enabled on the BIOS though.

ASUS P5Q PRO TURBO
Q9550
8 GIGS of RAM
Corsair Foce GT SSD
750TI Video Card

wiyosaya

Jan 8, 2014
I have two PCs running ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboards and Windows 7 X64. This model of motherboard does not have a UEFI bios, so neither PC's Win 7 installation is UEFI.

I want to upgrade both to Win 10 before the free deadline. Will the upgrade to 10 work even though the installations are not UEFI and UEFI is not supported?

Thanks.

wiyosaya

Jan 8, 2014
I have two PCs running ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboards and Windows 7 X64. This model of motherboard does not have a UEFI bios, so neither PC's Win 7 installation is UEFI.

I want to upgrade both to Win 10 before the free deadline. Will the upgrade to 10 work even though the installations are not UEFI and UEFI is not supported?

Thanks.
Found my own answer - Win 10 continues to support legacy bios installations.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
While most of us are very knowledgeable about Win 10 Upgrades, I would suggest that we should take fe minute to read this page to avoid disasters after July 29, 2016.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/67333/confronting-achilles-heel-free-windows-10-upgrade

:cool:

While people may have had different experiences than I, I have yet to run into the problem of this writer 3 different machines (upgraded, wiped, fresh install). And most people who are doing a clean install aren't in the group that doesn't know where to find the Windows key for the Windows 8/8.1 OEM systems (in the BIOS).

It sounds more like people that are cutting corners. Such as not downloading all updates before assuming the upgrade isn't there, changing hardware and wondering why the auto-activate doesn't work, not giving Windows 10 a chance to auto-detect hardware, or trying to install on un-supported hardware, could be to blame here.

What do you all think?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Update 420 is in the Regular Pipeline.

10586.420 Fixes and Improvements

• Improved reliability of Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Cortana, audio playback, audio playback in Groove Music app, Maps app, Miracast, and Windows Explorer.
  • Fixed issue with balloon tip notifications always appearing in the upper left side of the screen.
  • Fixed issue that caused VPN to not work properly when switching between different network interfaces (for example, switching between Wi-Fi and cellular).
  • Improved Narrator's ability to read bulleted lists, hyperlinks, and image information.
  • Fixed issue in location that caused navigation apps to lag behind user's actual location.
  • Improved performance of loading webpages in Internet Explorer 11 when roaming user profiles are used.
  • Fixed issue that caused phones to stop ringing from an incoming call, if interrupted by an SMS.
  • Fixed issue that caused some phones to be unable to re-add a primary Microsoft account without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
  • Fixed additional issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Bluetooth, Cortana, Wi-Fi, Windows Camera app, revised daylight saving time, USB, TPM, Graphics, Group Policy, downloading music or movies purchased through the Windows Store, Network Diagnostics and Windows Explorer.
  • Fixed security issues with Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Server Message Block (SMB) Server, Microsoft Graphics Component, Group Policy, DNS Server, Windows Diagnostic Hub, Kernel mode drivers, Microsoft Windows PDF, Windows Structured Query, Adobe Flash Player, JScript and VBScript, and Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD).

:cool:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Installed the win 10 upgrade on my desktop Dell xps 8700 i7-4770. This time around it went very well. 1st time around I had video card driver problems and reverted back to win 8.1. I shut off cortana and nearly all other parasitic services (custom install). Using Firefox rather then the Edge. After the first win 10 desktop it downloaded a service pack. So I'll see how it goes over the next week or so. Responds very much like win 8.1. Very snappy.

..so far still doing well on the Dell Desk Top. Tried again to upgrade the Dell Laptop and failed for a second time. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron i15N..with win 7 Home 64 bit. tried to install win10 about 9 months ago and had video problems..blank screen / no desktop / toggle power button a few times and desktop appears. This time it would load to a desktop reliably but would intermittently refresh with all icons disappearing / reappearing. Restored back to win7 and all is fine. It will remain a win7 laptop even though the win 10 nag ware says it's compatible.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm sitting on a copy of 10 education which is more robust than the pro I'm running and I've been contemplating moving to it.

Traxan

Jun 5, 2005
Question regarding Win 10 security. I ran DoNotSpy10 to shut off all the spying, but in the process the search/index service is completely broken, too. I have tons of Word docs and none of them are indexed. Apps I've added are not found.

The annoying part is that looking at all the choices in DoNotSpy, nothing is clearly marked as indexing. So is there a way to turn on search without having to turn on all the spying in the process?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I just bought a HP Touchsmart with Windows 10 from newegg. It says it needs to be activated, and will not activate citing code 0x803F7001. The machine does not have a key anywhere on the box or on the machine itself. I sent a message to the retailer and they said they would provide me with a key but I havent heard back from them. Are there any simple tricks I can do to activate this myself?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Sounds like the problem Elixer was reporting here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2478490

I would give it another day or so before calling the seller. Also, Windows 10 doesn't use the traditional key, except to activate individual OS purchases (not a part of the free upgrade), so you can stop looking. The only thing you are going to find is a generic key, and that's only going to be found using one of those key-finder programs.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
SM625 that machine should've been shipped with an activated copy of windows on it. If you don't hear back soon rma it to newegg before your return windows closes so you can get your money back or swap it out for another unit.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Quick question, is it possible to do a full (clean) install of Win 10 straight from my current win 7 64 instead of just upgrading ? Thanks

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Yes it is using your 7 key with the 10 installation media, however make sure that you get all available updates during the installation process. I would dl the media creation tool and use it to create the installation media (dvd iso/bootable thumb drive) and make sure that you get the right version (32/64).

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I started upgrading a PC with windows 10 at 2:30pm on a friday afternoon. I figured this would be plenty of time, especially since this machine has a nearly fresh windows 7 install, and it has an SSD and a 3.6GHz quad core xeon. But nooooo. It is quarter after 4pm and it is still only at 94% and moving roughly 1% every 10 minutes. It is likely the power is going to get shut off before this thing finishes, since no one wants to stick around on a friday before a holiday. Am I going to have to start over from scratch next week or will it pick up where it left off? Or will it be completely hosed?

Traxan

Jun 5, 2005
Question regarding Win 10 security. I ran DoNotSpy10 to shut off all the spying, but in the process the search/index service is completely broken, too. I have tons of Word docs and none of them are indexed. Apps I've added are not found.

The annoying part is that looking at all the choices in DoNotSpy, nothing is clearly marked as indexing. So is there a way to turn on search without having to turn on all the spying in the process?

So can anyone help me out?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I started upgrading a PC with windows 10 at 2:30pm on a friday afternoon. I figured this would be plenty of time, especially since this machine has a nearly fresh windows 7 install, and it has an SSD and a 3.6GHz quad core xeon. But nooooo. It is quarter after 4pm and it is still only at 94% and moving roughly 1% every 10 minutes. It is likely the power is going to get shut off before this thing finishes, since no one wants to stick around on a friday before a holiday. Am I going to have to start over from scratch next week or will it pick up where it left off? Or will it be completely hosed?

Each time this has happened to me it picked back up where it left off but YMMV.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have 3 computers to upgrade this month. When is the next major Windows 10 update due? I would like to upgrade after it drops if that is possible.

Edit: A quick search shows it won't come until August 2nd. Is that correct?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Sounds about right.... just after the "free uograde" offer ends.
Makes you wonder what little unspoken surprises it may contain :whiste:

I plan on going back to 8.1 so it really stinks not getting the updated 10 version for my restore images should I decide to use 10 in the future.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I have 3 computers to upgrade this month. When is the next major Windows 10 update due? I would like to upgrade after it drops if that is possible.

Edit: A quick search shows it won't come until August 2nd. Is that correct?

Windows 10 is a rolling release...there's no point in waiting.