Win 10 deactivated itself?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Odd one, booted up win 10 today, and I saw the watermark.
I knew it was already activated, so I looked, and it said activation servers down.
I clicked retry, and finally I was activated again.

Nothing at all changed in the system, in fact, that specific box was dormant for ~30 days, I just had to fire it up to test some things.

Anyone else run into this before?
I haven't had a system remain dormant as long as that one, but, I thought it wouldn't check again for activation unless something has changed?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Lol... well, yeah, but, I don't see why it defaults to needing activation if it was already activated, unless something has changes, which nothing was changed.
Seems like overkill, and I would have been PO'ed if this occurred someplace where I didn't have net access.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I've never seen watermark in Win 10. And I've installed dozens and dozens of unactivated Win 10 on computers and VM's.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've never seen watermark in Win 10. And I've installed dozens and dozens of unactivated Win 10 on computers and VM's.

My test installs that I've done of 1511 using media created using the MS Media Creation Tool, revert to a watermark after a few days (3?).

Unknown how long that they will continue to function in that mode.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Lol... well, yeah, but, I don't see why it defaults to needing activation if it was already activated, unless something has changes, which nothing was changed.
Seems like overkill, and I would have been PO'ed if this occurred someplace where I didn't have net access.

This is a little concerning. I know Windows 7 checked every day it is online because every time I updated my version of VMWare Player, my Windows 7 VM would eventually tell me I needed to activate, due to the new virtual hardware. I say eventually because this one is on a VPN 98% of the time, which many times keeps it from running the check.

But a message because the activation servers are down? That doesn't seem right at all, and hopefully this is a one-time thing. FWIW I have two Windows 10 installs (one of them runs 24/7, and neither one has done this).