Will you get a swine flu vaccination this Fall?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eadInc

Mar 31, 2009
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: Muse
Famous last words. Would you get a flue shot if a strain broke out like the 1918 Spanish Flue that killed 50 million?

Right... and many people survived the black plaque too. For those with superior genes, they pass it onto their offspring and life goes on. All these prevention shot do is promote breeding of the weak and will doom the human race.

In Soviet Russia, immunization shoots you!

I'm not against immunization shots. I'm a fine promoter in the advancing science of health and medicine - even at the cost of "dooming our society to breeding more weak people"... because I really feel the "dooming of our society to the breeding of stupid people" will win that race.

That being said, I probably won't be getting any H1N1 Immunization. I've never gotten any immunization shots other than those required for school and work (Hep B series, as well). But that is because often, shots like the Flu, I've always felt were better reserved for those in the risk group - young and elderly. Of course, I suppose I do fall into the risk group of this one 'young adult' but unless it is recommended to me specifically because of where I'll work, I'm going to pass. If it is though, I wouldn't hesitate two seconds on getting it done. What's a few more prep'd memory cells going to the list.

OUCaptain

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
No. I ate dirt as a child, I happily grab the bathroom door hand without a paper towel, I smoke the passed pipe without wiping the tip, I don't care about double dipping, I am happy to shake anyone's hand, I'll take cash and then rub my eye, and bleach does nothing more than white my whites.

I haven't the flu since I was a kid. The nearest thing I've had was a 24 hour period of puking and ass squirting twice in the past 10 years. I get the cold about twice a year. The worst part never last more than a day followed by a few days of stuffiness.

Strong immune system FOR THE MOTHER FUCKING WIN. fuck acronyms

Dec 10, 2005
Famous last words. Would you get a flue shot if a strain broke out like the 1918 Spanish Flue that killed 50 million?

Right... and many people survived the black plaque too. For those with superior genes, they pass it onto their offspring and life goes on. All these prevention shot do is promote breeding of the weak and will doom the human race.

Eh... go back to your cross burning, Adolf.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: OUCaptain
No. I ate dirt as a child, I happily grab the bathroom door hand without a paper towel, I smoke the passed pipe without wiping the tip, I don't care about double dipping, I am happy to shake anyone's hand, I'll take cash and then rub my eye, and bleach does nothing more than white my whites.

I haven't the flu since I was a kid. The nearest thing I've had was a 24 hour period of puking and ass squirting twice in the past 10 years. I get the cold about twice a year. The worst part never last more than a day followed by a few days of stuffiness.

Strong immune system FOR THE MOTHER FUCKING WIN. fuck acronyms

THIS! Almost word for word applies to me as well.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

Sir I salute your willingness to self-terminate to promote the well-being of the species.

:beer:

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Never had flu shot, and never got the flu. Not gonna get this pig flu shot. My immune system is flawless. According to the news, there are over one million people in the US infected with the swine flu. But how many people get the flu each year?

That's not possible.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Meh, if it's free at work, like the regular flu shot, sure, why not. Not going to go out of my way though.

KT

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

You seem to have severe misconceptions about immunity and genetics.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: krylon
No poll? This thread is almost as gay as the gay thread.

shove poll up ass
video it
put up on youtube
get invite to Late Show with David Letterman
profit?

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
No way. I read Rainbow Six, I know what these "vaccinations" really are.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I used to get flu shots when I was a kid but I haven't for years. Doubt that'll change. I had the flu this winter/spring but before that I don't remember the last time I had it.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
If someone offers a 'red hot beef injection' vaccination, you should decline.

Never had a flu shot, wont get a swine flu shot.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Probably, since I get a flu shot every year, plus I work near healthcare. Although I had the flu last month so I've probably already had H1N1.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
nope, i hate to be "that guy that says that thing" but every time i've had a flu shot i've ended up feeling worse than i ever have had NOT getting one

no flu shots for me in the past ~8 years, haven't gotten the flu in any of those years either

Flu shots force your immune system to respond as it would were you to get the flu, but without ACTUALLY being infected. The result is a variety of responses which are less than "comfortable" such as lack of energy, swollen lymph nodes, etc.

But flu shots don't make you sick with the flu.

That said, I never get flu shots. My immune system is probably the strongest its every been and as a result getting the flu shot for myself is more trouble than its worth. I've maybe got the flu twice in my life.

I totally support immunization for children and what not. But beyond the regular gamut of shots you get as a child, I'm not about to put something in my body that I don't need. And right now my immune system is plenty capable of fending off something as mundane as "swine flu".

You do know that the death rate for this type of flu actually affects the *HEALTHIEST* of people most. Yes, those with the *strongest* immune systems actually have the highest chance of death from it.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: vi edit
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
nope, i hate to be "that guy that says that thing" but every time i've had a flu shot i've ended up feeling worse than i ever have had NOT getting one

no flu shots for me in the past ~8 years, haven't gotten the flu in any of those years either

Flu shots force your immune system to respond as it would were you to get the flu, but without ACTUALLY being infected. The result is a variety of responses which are less than "comfortable" such as lack of energy, swollen lymph nodes, etc.

But flu shots don't make you sick with the flu.

That said, I never get flu shots. My immune system is probably the strongest its every been and as a result getting the flu shot for myself is more trouble than its worth. I've maybe got the flu twice in my life.

I totally support immunization for children and what not. But beyond the regular gamut of shots you get as a child, I'm not about to put something in my body that I don't need. And right now my immune system is plenty capable of fending off something as mundane as "swine flu".

You do know that the death rate for this type of flu actually affects the *HEALTHIEST* of people most. Yes, those with the *strongest* immune systems actually have the highest chance of death from it.

Yes, but the current H1N1 Swine Flu doesn't trigger the cascade that the actual deadly H1N1 triggers. Ergo: This flu is no worse than, and in fact has been studied as less deadly than most other non-H1N1 flus.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
Originally posted by: coldmeat
I haven't had any vaccination since they were mandatory in grade 9 or 10.

same. I think I'm supposed to get the Tetanus booster again but probably won't get around to it.