Will WWIII Happen In The Next Couple Decades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatSm

May 24, 2015
The Economist argues that there are ominous parallels between the conditions which led to the first world war and today. The Telegraph notes that the economic crisis in Europe is increasing tensions. The New Republic points out that global downturns can lead to war. Do they have enough reasons to say that, how do you think?

Our rulers are becoming corrupt, our people are becoming careless. A single zealot may become persecutor, and better men be his victims. I'm scared.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
ww3 already happened. Wars are now fought with money and influence.

and flatulence as well.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The moment tensions flared between US/China or something the elite would phone up their subordinates in Washington and demand they calm down and make a deal instead. Losing all that slave labor and factories just isn't profitable.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm scared. I'm scared. I'm scared.

You aren't ATOT tuff! We laugh at war. We are men, and some are even trans!

:)

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
WWIII in what sense, you mean total conventional war that bombs industrial nations back to the stone age like in the 1940s?

There isn't a country on the planet that has the industrial capacity to pump out sheer amount of weapons like what the major antagonists of WWII were (well, maybe China today could). Cost of fuel and raw materials are significantly higher today than they were back then. In 1943 the United States naval yards alone were churning out 12,000,000 tons of warships annually.

Even under a total war scenario today with a draft if the US nationalized all shipyards in the U.S. we'd be lucky to manage a few 100,000 tons of production today.

Total conventional war is basically impossible today. Nobody has the money or the industrial capacity to wage it, least of all the United States which is a shell of what it was at the beginning of the 20th century. It would have to be a nuclear war.

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
WWIII in what sense, you mean total conventional war that bombs industrial nations back to the stone age like in the 1940s?

There isn't a country on the planet that has the industrial capacity to pump out sheer amount of weapons like what the major antagonists of WWII were (well, maybe China today could). Cost of fuel and raw materials are significantly higher today than they were back then. In 1943 the United States naval yards alone were churning out 12,000,000 tons of warships annually.

Even under a total war scenario today with a draft if the US nationalized all shipyards in the U.S. we'd be lucky to manage a few 100,000 tons of production today.

Total conventional war is basically impossible today. Nobody has the money or the industrial capacity to wage it, least of all the United States which is a shell of what it was at the beginning of the 20th century. It would have to be a nuclear war.
Total conventional warfare on the scale of WWII is done and over with.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

China could. The USA and Europe could as well, but as our remaining manufacturing is extremely specialized we would have a difficult time ramping up. Shipyards in particular would take years to come online, as would expanding warplane production.

I think we have three huge things in our favor. First, Europe and the USA are under elected rulers, who would presumably become unelected quickly in the case of world war. That gives us a good chance to stop something that is inadvertently started. Second, widespread nuclear weapons promise devastation to the winner as well, and while one go could into a world war promising to avoid nukes there would be little reason for the loser to keep that promise. And third, the only remaining nation with a huge amount of manufacturing is Red China. Being on track to own everything in Europe and America is a pretty strong reason not to break it.

Total conventional warfare on the scale of WWII is done and over with.
You know that's exactly what everyone said after World War I, right? It wasn't called World War I until World War II; before that it was called the Great War and the War To End All Wars.

Being sure there will never be another world war is the quickest way to blunder into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.