Will tweaking fsb/cpu from 1.8 ghz to 2.4 and more memory speed up blu-ray backups?

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
I have a slightly tweaked Dell Vostro 200 with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Stock:
Foxconn mobo, 2160 1.8 GHz dual core CPU, integrated graphics and audio, 1 GB memory in 2/4 slots (upgradable to either 4 or 8 GB - conflicting data).

Modest Tweaks:
Had a 380 watt green PSU sitting around to replace the stock 300 watt just cuz, PCIE Asus geforce 8600gs (strictly for HDCP and $39 low price) to replace integrated graphics, 2 GB crucial memory on 2/4 available slots. Also, I have a PCI Asus sound card strictly for optical out to Onkyo receiver, if it matters. Finally, I also have 3 1/2 TB of HDD so space not an issue. Thinking of using this tweak for 2.4 upgrade: http://www.overclockers.com/dell-vostro-200/

Will this CPU increase from 1.8 to 2.4 be enough to speed up burn time? Should I also get 2 more GB sticks RAM?

8 hours read time alone is just ridickulous. TIA

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
No, sorry to say, but there is nothing you're going to do to speed up the burn time of any kind of optical drive (CD, DVD, BD, or any of the other sub-formats). The limiting factor is basically the drive itself, sometimes the media.

That change may speed up more general tasks for the computer, but an 8X DVD burner is an 8X DVD burner, and the same general principle applies to any other kind of optical based drive. It can only write data at a fixed maximum speed, and nothing short of some highly discouraged modifications to the drive itself or getting a faster drive (and corresponding media) will change that.

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
Thanks for reply Scott. I guess I should have mentioned that the burner I have is a brand new 12x Asus and the media I've used is 6x. Do you know how people are reading/writing (uncompressed) in 45 minutes. I haven't seen 8 hr + read times since the first burners and 2x discs came out initially.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
What Blu-ray drive are you using? You listed most of the system specs but left out the one that actually matters for Blu-ray/DVD reading and writing.. ;)

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
@ Newegg; $69.99 after mail-in rebate card:

ASUS internal BW-12B1ST Blu-ray writer realizes the world’s fastest 12 X Blu-ray write speed, which allows you to burn a 25GB BD-R SL disk in approximately 11.27mins. With Optimal Tuning Strategy (OTS), the writer generates the optimal burning strategy automatically, reducing the failure disc rate and increasing successful burning.

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
8 hours to read a disk? That seems oddly long to me - by fitzm's numbers, even a 50GB disk shouldn't take half of that just to read at 1X.

When you read the disks, what are you doing? Are you just copying all the files off and burning them to a new disk, creating a disk image, or is there some kind of processing happening? Even RipLock shouldn't drop speeds that far, so it does sound like there's something kind of strange going on here.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If it's 8 hours to rip AND convert the movies into something else (MP4, for example), then 8 hours for the entire process for a Blu-ray is a bit long but not terribly so for that system. If it's 8 hours just to directly read (rip) the data from the disc then something is definitely wrong.

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
If it's 8 hours to rip AND convert the movies into something else (MP4, for example), then 8 hours for the entire process for a Blu-ray is a bit long but not terribly so for that system. If it's 8 hours just to directly read (rip) the data from the disc then something is definitely wrong.
That's my best guess of what's going on - it's not the actual reading that is taking so long, it's whatever the OP is doing to the data. If that's the case, the overclocking and upgrades mentioned in the OP would certainly make a difference, too - much more so than a new drive. For that matter, given that the quoted times are something like 0.5X, unless the drive is outright broken, I can't see replacing it making any difference at all.

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
So far, Fardringle, I have done movie only in dvdfab with no compression. I read that some drives including this one I think have internal protection in firmware I suppose that limits speed of drive to prevent coasters. Anyone know anything about this buffer "protection" built in to some drives?

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
BTW, I've been burning for 14 years. I actually learned about and have researched many issues on this forum since 1998-not 2000. A techy where I got my SCSI drive in St. Louis turned me on to Anand. I started w/blazing fast 4x Plextor SCSI and backups for PS1/CDRWIN. I "dabbled" with mods for all Sony consoles since then and also put Slayer dashes (TSOP method only) on many Microshaft machines utilizing countless resources including hundreds of hours in IRC rooms. I've used just about every reputable freeware app and others available since then. I remember using combos of 2 or 3 apps for many of the thousands of discs I've created. My point is that I've been around a few blocks but I've never experienced this slow of speeds unless drive itself or media was the limitation. Back then buffer was the big issue hence the reason for the SCSI (4 or 5 % of system resource usage vs 95% with IDE).

I am completely new to the blue laser drives as the cost was ludicrous when they first appeared-especially the media ($25 a pop-give me a break). I didn't know if the sheer increase of bit/bytes made reading/writing slow regardless. However, after seeing posts and comments all over it seems the drives and media are pretty fast now. A few comments I saw mentioned system limitations, IE: video card, slow processor, etc.

-Does anyone know of a direct link to dvdfab tweaks to at least work towards eliminating software limitations.
-And, as I mentioned in previous post, does anyone know of the extra buffer protection which someone stated somewhere slowed very specific drives down even more to prevent coasters? The name of the protection was proprietary and fairly new I think.
-Also, I am still wondering if the system hardware improvements, CPU fsb increase from 1.8 to 2.4 and maybe 2 more GB sticks RAM will noticeably speed up read/burn time?

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
No, CPU speed and RAM have absolutely nothing to do with disc read/burn times unless there is something physically wrong with them and they are running at EXTREMELY low speeds. If you are actually converting the discs to a different format while ripping, then yes a faster CPU speed will help, but you said that you aren't doing that...

The only tweak in DVDFab that will affect Blu-ray ripping speed is under Settings>Blu-Ray Copy. If the option "Enable Full Scan" is checked, then it will slow down the copy speed somewhat in order to make sure the copy is 100% accurate.

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
Thanks, thought so. Any thoughts on "xtra?" firmware/speed inhibitor some new drives are coming with? And do you know what it's called so I can steer away from them, at least for now? I wish i could find the reference I read. I've been researching so much that maybe someone simply commented that someones existing buffer protection scheme was too strong or something, IDK.

I've had good luck with Lite-On for a long time but I didn't notice before buying that this particular drive has been getting slammed a bit on NewEgg for different reasons. I may just RMA it back fro exchange. Can't think of anything else. Is Plextor still a good drive? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
I'm putting new OS on tower which has burner. Thinking about sticking same Lite-On in an enclosure to see how it does on my sons i7 HP lappy. Also I'll research some drives a bit more. Any suggestions/personal favs welcomed.

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
External usb 2.0 read on lappy in 2.5 hrs vs. 8 hours internal...Denmark is something fishy.

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
Starting to think tower hardware is an issue. i7 machine cut read/burn time 75% with all variables identical besides much faster machine.

fitzm

Mar 17, 2000
Whoever says that CPU speed and RAM have absolutely nothing to do with disc read/burn times (unless there is something physically wrong with them and they are running at EXTREMELY low speeds) and that the bd drive itself is the limiting factor is wrong-in my case anyway. Almost everything I've read now for the past week contradicts that view, especially when copying 25 + gigs to hdd to burn.