Will Trump's hostile take over the Repub party end when he dies?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I don't think so.
I think many Trump-lites will emerge to try to take control of the MAGA sheep.

Like Senator McCarthy (Repub) and his 'Red Scare' in the 1950s, i think it'll take a generation cycle for conservatives to get off that crazy train.
(God knows what would have happened to society if McCarthy didn't die young at age 48. :eek: )

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Someone else will take the reins, as they're already trying to do. Anyone else has an uphill battle going against Donnie for now, since he's still capable of campaigning and being active in the scene. But look at the other potential candidates (or candidates in other elections around the country.)

Everyone else is already trying to one-up each other for shitty extremist views and proposals. I don't see that stopping, though it could slow or ebb and flow in severity as time goes on, depending on who is at the helm with the megaphone. While Donnie
TwoScoops has it, the rhetoric will only remain at a fever pitch.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Someone else will take the reins, as they're already trying to do. Anyone else has an uphill battle going against Donnie for now, since he's still capable of campaigning and being active in the scene. But look at the other potential candidates (or candidates in other elections around the country.)

Everyone else is already trying to one-up each other for shitty extremist views and proposals. I don't see that stopping, though it could slow or ebb and flow in severity as time goes on, depending on who is at the helm with the megaphone. While Donnie
TwoScoops has it, the rhetoric will only remain at a fever pitch.
Sure makes a bad look for anyone not Republican. If they keep this shit up, who's going to go out of their way to go to the polls for their shit.

Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The entire Republican party is completely shitty and they are all in a race right now to the bottom of the shittiness. Literally every day is some new crossing the line fucked up authoritarian fascist racist sexist fucked up shit happening in that party. The moderates don't have a shot not like there's many of them.

The worst one wins with these people these days. Know your enemy

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It'll only really end if and when the Republicans hit an electability wall. That is, the shifts in demographics and cultural values are large enough that the GOP can no longer exploit their usual wedge issues (such as abortion and xenophobia) to win significant elections.

To riff on what Pohemi said, there's been a trend since Reagan where the party has leaned further and further into social conservatism and bigotry to keep its base in line. Trumpism is an extension of the Tea Party, which was an extension of Bush Jr.-era neoconservatism, which... you get the idea.

The funny thing: the increasingly extreme social views are a tacit acknowledgment that the modern Republican party doesn't know how to appeal to the public besides stoking fear and contrarianism. Concepts like real fiscal responsibility (i.e. not just "taxes bad") disappeared for the GOP decades ago.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
He made it acceptable to be out and proud white suprematist. They won’t go back into hiding when their orange monkey king dies.

Reactions: Pohemi

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Orange Man bad…but Florida Man worse.
4abc8058b4c4c4b3c6563c5b5517dd9c.jpg

Reactions: hal2kilo

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I wouldn't characterize it as a hostile takeover. The GOP was ready and willing with few exceptions to bend over for Trump.
Repubs might have been willing to bend over for Trump, but Trump decided not to use lube.

i think it still counts as hostile (for those not Maga)

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I wouldn't characterize it as a hostile takeover. The GOP was ready and willing with few exceptions to bend over for Trump.
For me, the GOP circa 2016 was like a bunch of pub-goers relying on a drunk driver to get them home at 2AM when a taxi or Uber isn't available. They knew it was a bad idea, but were willing to put themselves at risk because they refused to be patient. They wanted the presidency at all costs, and that meant backing the same guy who hurled childish insults at them in the primaries.

Like those pub crawlers, though, the GOP is realizing that chaining your fate to a dangerous person is a bad idea. Sure, it got them the presidency in 2016, but it has cost them in every election since. Even the House flip in the 2022 midterms was a historically poor showing.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi