Will Trump launch a Muslim Registry or Muslim Ban soon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will Trump launch a Muslim Registry or Muslim Immigration Ban soon?

• Yes

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Don't deflect. Do you think Trump wants a registry of US Muslims?

LoL! Who really knows? That could of been something he blathered to the rabble just to get elected. That being said, it may matter a lot to that little band of sociopaths that he calls his cabinet....

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
LoL! Who really knows? That could of been something he blathered to rabble just to get elected. That being said, it may matter a lot to that little band of sociopaths that he calls his cabinet....

For him to say that Trump does not want one is confusing. He may or may not get one, but he sure seems to want one and it seems like BS to say that only liberal suckers fall for them is stupid.

I doubt he will respond, but its BS either way.

Feb 16, 2005
I voted yes, insomuch as I believe drumpf will do 'something', and most likely it will be questionable, ethically speaking, and constitutionally speaking as well.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The Muslim community is rife with conspiracy theories which conveniently absolves them of any responsibility.

Only liberal suckers actually fall for them.
Yeah, I forgot that Infowars is a liberal site.

Your trolling is boring.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Strawman? Really?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-muslim-registry/story?id=43639946

He is very explicitly being asked specifically about setting up a registry for Muslims and is very specifically answering that question.

Let me guess. This is where you tell us how his direct answer to a direct question is being misinterpreted by the liberal media right?

Meh, his statement is vague and is in response to liberal media hysteria. It doesn't make sense to implement a Muslim registry in the United States. It makes more sense to simply restrict new immigration by Muslim people as a whole because they are fundamentally hostile to the United States. That and allow the FBI and other investigatory agencies freer reign.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Immigration ban I give a 50/50 chance (assuming he performs a more grey-area ban on immigrants from countries that happen to have Muslim majorities). If he does a registry, and I'm leaning towards him not doing so, it will be done privately and erupt as a scandal later imo.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Immigration ban I give a 50/50 chance (assuming he performs a more grey-area ban on immigrants from countries that happen to have Muslim majorities). If he does a registry, and I'm leaning towards him not doing so, it will be done privately and erupt as a scandal later imo.

Enacted "privately"? I don't believe the President has the power to change the law "privately".

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Deflect deflect, never take responsibility. It's always other people's fault.
Yes, that's what you did by making the absurd claim that only liberals are conspiracy theorists.
In the meantime, you've disrupted the rest of us from having an intelligent discussion about something that Trump did - in fact - promise to do if elected. Why is that I wonder?

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Strawman? Really?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-muslim-registry/story?id=43639946

He is very explicitly being asked specifically about setting up a registry for Muslims and is very specifically answering that question.

Let me guess. This is where you tell us how his direct answer to a direct question is being misinterpreted by the liberal media right?

Have you seen the video? It was not a direct question or answer, he barely even looks the reporter in the eye initially and it was done immediately after a rally as he was getting ready to leave. Even Politifact admits that his answers were mostly unclear and that he tried to change the subject to The Wall(tm) or registries of Syrian refugees. You can see several quotes here in better context:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ld-trumps-comments-database-american-muslims/

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yes, that's what you did by making the absurd claim that only liberals are conspiracy theorists.
In the meantime, you've disrupted the rest of us from having an intelligent discussion about something that Trump did - in fact - promise to do if elected. Why is that I wonder?

Uh, no. You completely misread it. Read it again. In the post I was responding to, the guy was talking about how Muslims in the USA view the Boston Marathon bombing as responsibility of the FBI--not them. And FIVR being the nice tolerant liberal he is, actually takes them at face value.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Meh, his statement is vague and is in response to liberal media hysteria. It doesn't make sense to implement a Muslim registry in the United States. It makes more sense to simply restrict new immigration by Muslim people as a whole because they are fundamentally hostile to the United States. That and allow the FBI and other investigatory agencies freer reign.

It would be just an unconstitutional to restrict immigration based upon religious beliefs as it would be to create a registry based upon religious beliefs.
See US Constitution Article 1 section 8 clause 4 wherein Congress is given sole authority over immigration law, and then see the 1st amendment which begins "Congress shall make no law... "

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Enacted "privately"? I don't believe the President has the power to change the law "privately".

Does law need to be changed? The No Fly List was created without passing any explicit law afaik, it was all done through various federal agencies. An official list of Muslims would be a much larger scale and much more likely to have a whistle-blower call shenanigans, but I don't see it as something unfeasible to at least attempt (from a "Can I find a few guys willing to make this in private" perspective, not a "Can I do this with full endorsement of the agencies and our system of law" perspective, of course).

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Uh, no. You completely misread it. Read it again. In the post I was responding to, the guy was talking about how Muslims in the USA view the Boston Marathon bombing as responsibility of the FBI--not them. And FIVR being the nice tolerant liberal he is, actually takes them at face value.

He didn't take it at face value. He presented it as conspiracy theory.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It would be just an unconstitutional to restrict immigration based upon religious beliefs as it would be to create a registry based upon religious beliefs.
See US Constitution Article 1 section 8 clause 4 wherein Congress is given sole authority over immigration law, and then see the 1st amendment which begins "Congress shall make no law... "

Yep, trying to do such a thing might be grounds for removal from office if it was put in place.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
He didn't take it at face value. He presented it as conspiracy theory.

He sounds sympathetic towards it.

It really doesn't reflect well to the character of Muslims that they deflect responsibility and hide in conspiracy theories. And of course the various terrorist attacks, and they are the least desirable immigrant group.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

It really doesn't reflect well to the character of Muslims that they deflect responsibility and hide in conspiracy theories. And of course the various terrorist attacks, and they are the least desirable immigrant group.

Are you seriously judging the characters of over a billion and a half people from a comment made by a single anonymous Internet poster? Really?
And.. as I pointed out earlier, right wingers have their website for hiding in conspiracy theories.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Are you seriously judging the characters of over a billion and a half people from a comment made by a single anonymous Internet poster? Really?
And.. as I pointed out earlier, right wingers have their website for hiding in conspiracy theories.

No. But that comment fits into a trend that I have witnessed writ large, encompassing the character of said 1.5 billion people.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

How many Muslims do you know?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No. But that comment fits into a trend that I have witnessed writ large, encompassing the character of said 1.5 billion people.
And this comment fits into a trend that I've witnessed from you being a dishonest idiot.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
When you don't have an argument you resort to personal insult. Got it.
People who base their ridiculous arguments off absurd over-generalizations deserve to be insulted. If anyone ever made a similar statement about Christians or white people, I've no doubt that you would similarly inclined to insult.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
People who base their ridiculous arguments off absurd over-generalizations deserve to be insulted. If anyone ever made a similar statement about Christians or white people, I've no doubt that you would similarly inclined to insult.

Meh, by and large white european people and christian people have certain characteristics. Muslim peoples have their good and bad. I don't really find their good all that valuable and the bad vastly outweighs any good they bring.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I voted yes, insomuch as I believe drumpf will do 'something', and most likely it will be questionable, ethically speaking, and constitutionally speaking as well.

So your argument was that he was lying to troll the media?

"But that's something your White House would like to implement?" the reporter presses.

"Oh I would certainly implement that. Absolutely." Trump answers.

He is clearly saying he would implement a database. There is no question about what he said there. Your only argument is that he was lying about what he would actually want to do, but again, you are wrong to argue that it was made up by the Left. Just because he says he did not mean/say it does not change that he did say it.