Will this video card give me any increased performance at all?

mfh6375

Jun 20, 2005
I currently have a 7900 gtx and a P4 3.6 ghz HT. Yes, I know that the processor is bottlenecking the card.

I just got a evga 8800 GT 512 DDR3 Superclocked for a price I couldn't pass up. It's only about 30 bucks more than I could sell my old card for on ebay.

Here is my question. And yes, I'm very aware that my P4 will also bottleneck the new card. But, will I see any performance increase at all? Will I at least see 30 bucks worth of improvement? Or, should I just dump the new card off on ebay and keep the 7900 gtx? The games I'm most concerned about are Oblivion, COD4, and Stalker. Thanks in advance for any advice.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
Yes. Especially if you play in higher resolutions. If nothing else, you'll be able to turn up the details.

Not to mention, when you get around to upgrading that CPU, you'll be in good shape for a video card already.

mfh6375

Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, I didn't mention in my original post, but I do plan on building a new pc within the next 3-6 months. Probably an e8400 cpu. So, I guess I would already be set on the video card. For a while, at least.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Overclock the crap out of that P4 until you upgrade - who cares if it reduces the processor life in that case. You'll see a good improvement then.

Also keep in mind you can get a dual core intel on a good board with 2GB for pocket change these days. If you reuse the case and drives then you might be able to upgrade sooner than you think.