Will this tree survive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most likely, the tree won't die, at least not immediately (within 2 to 3 years.) Also, the face cut shouldn't be much more than 1/3 of the way into the tree (else the guy is a noob at felling trees).

Regardless though, even 1/3 of the way into an 18" dia tree is quite a bit of open space inside the trunk. And, that sort of wound to a tree is going to take quite a while to heal over (if ever), while still leaving a hollow space inside the tree. For safety's sake, I think I'd remove the tree & replace it. If the cut were only 1 or 2 inches deep, I think I'd hope for the best. But 1/3 of the way is too far (imho).

If you have wood of the same species and can cut off a couple of wedges that would be tight in the saw's kerf, it might help to pound them in, trying to line up the outer bark & layer just under the bark with that of the tree, and keeping it pretty tight when you insert it.

I think you would be surprised. If the cut is only the thickness of a saw blade(read: like a few mm), it might be able to seal itself within a few weeks if it's a fast growing variety.

I think the most important thing would be to dress it with some fungicide. Fungus or structural weakening will be what kills the tree, not the act of cutting half way through it.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
I am not sure if there are very many landscapers here, but today I had a relative that was helping me remove some small trees in my yard. He made a mistake and started to cut down a tree that I did not want him to remove. He was using a non-electric tree saw and cut about halfway into a tree that was 18 inches in diameter before I realized what was going on and yelled at him to stop.

Will this tree survive even though half of it has been cut into?

Pay a local ISA certified arborist to take a look at the tree and determine if its safe/salvageable. Do not apply wound dressing, using it hasn't been considered good practice for 20 years. It is junk that gets in the way of normal calousing.

You may need some structural bracing, maybe a shim to fill the gap, possibly a bark graft to bridge some of the area. If its a high value tree, probably a good idea to prune it now.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
The tree will heal itself, without need for would sealant.
Tree cells are built into compartments for this exact reason.

The tree will immediately start to build a callous around the wound.
After the callous is formed, the cambium will be reconnected and the sap will flow again.
Until the callous is fully formed, the tree will simply direct all of its sap flow through the cambium of the undamaged half.

You might lose a branch or two and new growth will be stopped on the side where the cut was made.
The tree is fairly dormant right now anyway because it is dead of summer and heat is extremely high. (depending on where you live)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea just remember,the core won't rebuild. but new wood rings from under the new bark will grow..so for a time, the core will be weaker, so don't let it get top heavy or side heavy..its strength is going to compromised for some time.

Key West

Banned
Jan 20, 2010
halfway? ick..probably got into the heartwood, i'd say its going to die.

Quite the opposite.

The term heartwood derives solely from its position and not from any vital importance to the tree. This is evidenced by the fact that a tree can thrive with its heart completely decayed.