Will this tree survive?

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
I am not sure if there are very many landscapers here, but today I had a relative that was helping me remove some small trees in my yard. He made a mistake and started to cut down a tree that I did not want him to remove. He was using a non-electric tree saw and cut about halfway into a tree that was 18 inches in diameter before I realized what was going on and yelled at him to stop.

Will this tree survive even though half of it has been cut into?

Oct 27, 2007
Hmm I'm no expert but trees are surprisingly hardy, I'd say it has a good chance of surviving just fine. What kind of tree?

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
halfway? ick..probably got into the heartwood, i'd say its going to die.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
I am not sure if there are very many landscapers here, but today I had a relative that was helping me remove some small trees in my yard. He made a mistake and started to cut down a tree that I did not want him to remove. He was using a non-electric tree saw and cut about halfway into a tree that was 18 inches in diameter before I realized what was going on and yelled at him to stop.

Will this tree survive even though half of it has been cut into?

If you actually want that tree to survive, wrap and compress where you cut, just like on a human. It may die, but you also may be to save it.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Heartwood is dead, isn't it?

you're right, I thought that heartwood had a critical function, but apparently its only really structural. anyways, since he's cut basically half the bloodflow off the tree, wouldn't it be more likely to die?

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
If you actually want that tree to survive, wrap and compress where you cut, just like on a human. It may die, but you also may be to save it.

What I mean is you should keep air and bacteria from the cut, that's what kills trees. The best thing I can think of would(wood!) be an elastic wrap that goes around the cut and a few inches above and below. Trees are very hardy, limit the air and exposure of a cut and you can save it.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
He cut through half an 18" diameter tree with a non-electric saw before you noticed? :awe:

willis-cutting-1358.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/59/

Tree Trunk Damage

"To treat any damage to tree trunks, splash on some hydrogen peroxide on the wounds, and then treat the wounds with Tree Trunk Goop. Formula: mix equal amounts of manure compost tea, natural diatomaceous earth and soft rock phosphate. Fireplace ashes can be added or used as a substitute for the phosphate. Reapply if rain or irrigation washes the material off."

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/treeinjury.html

"Wound Dressings: Wound dressings are not recommended for any tree wounds. Wound dressings actually have been found to increase decay. Wounds should be left exposed to the open air to seal naturally."

(how's that for contradictory advice?)

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/text/damage_trunk.html

I'll be very surprised if you don't have to cut the tree down within a year. Cutting it half-way through has done a lot of damage to the tree's systems and it may not survive.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea just leave it.
if its lucky and strong it will bridge the wound the living bit is thelayer under the bark. if it bridges it will have a clear path from root to the rest, if it doesn't its going to slowly die. hope its strong enough to fight off bugs that might invade....fertilize and water i guess.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
My parents needed a small tree pulled from the front of their house. As I was ripping it from the ground, I could feel it's pain and agony. This tree was no longer just an inanimate object. I felt as if I had just slaughtered a living being.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/59/

Tree Trunk Damage

"To treat any damage to tree trunks, splash on some hydrogen peroxide on the wounds, and then treat the wounds with Tree Trunk Goop. Formula: mix equal amounts of manure compost tea, natural diatomaceous earth and soft rock phosphate. Fireplace ashes can be added or used as a substitute for the phosphate. Reapply if rain or irrigation washes the material off."

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/treeinjury.html

"Wound Dressings: Wound dressings are not recommended for any tree wounds. Wound dressings actually have been found to increase decay. Wounds should be left exposed to the open air to seal naturally."

(how's that for contradictory advice?)

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/text/damage_trunk.html

I'll be very surprised if you don't have to cut the tree down within a year. Cutting it half-way through has done a lot of damage to the tree's systems and it may not survive.

They aren't necessarily contradictory. I think the wound dressing they're talking about are those tarry spreads people used to put on severed limbs. I'm not sure about the stuff in your first link, but it looks like it would kill bacteria, and encourage scarring through natural tree growth.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
If that tree is within falling distance of anything of value, take it down. All trees die someday or the wind takes them, and that tree is compromised.

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
If that tree is within falling distance of anything of value, take it down. All trees die someday or the wind takes them, and that tree is compromised.

This. If a gust of wind or a thunderstorm comes through, that tree is coming down for sure.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

Stay in school kids and just say no to dugs. ^_^

If it's about halfway, it's probably toast. If it doesn't die from that, the wind will probably blow it over. You could try shoring it up with some rebar and cable.

If it's just a small or young tree though, might be worth it to dig it up and plant a new one in its place. Then deduct the price of it from the idiot landscaper's bill.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
I had a neighbor cut down a tree once, and they didn't remove the stump. Not long after, leaves and new branches started growing from the stump.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'd be more concerned that it is going to fall over now that it has been cut halfway through. A strong wind would probably be enough to blow it over.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It will probably survive, but you should have immediately sealed the wound with tree sealer. It will probably die within a few years due to fungi. Then again, it may not. If the wound is the width of a saw blade, it might be able to heal itself before any fungus gets established. Definitely dicey though.

What kind of tree is it?

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Most likely, the tree won't die, at least not immediately (within 2 to 3 years.) Also, the face cut shouldn't be much more than 1/3 of the way into the tree (else the guy is a noob at felling trees).

Regardless though, even 1/3 of the way into an 18" dia tree is quite a bit of open space inside the trunk. And, that sort of wound to a tree is going to take quite a while to heal over (if ever), while still leaving a hollow space inside the tree. For safety's sake, I think I'd remove the tree & replace it. If the cut were only 1 or 2 inches deep, I think I'd hope for the best. But 1/3 of the way is too far (imho).

If you have wood of the same species and can cut off a couple of wedges that would be tight in the saw's kerf, it might help to pound them in, trying to line up the outer bark & layer just under the bark with that of the tree, and keeping it pretty tight when you insert it.