Will this M.2 enclosure take all M.2 card types?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
^ Correct. Sata only.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've just been trying to read up about M.2 interface differences and I think my brain is going to explode. Who on earth came up with the interface specification? It seems to me like there's still a chance I've bought the wrong enclosure because AFAIK there are two types of PCIE M.2 interface.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
From my understanding, there are no NVMe to USB adapters at this time. So if it is AHCI, you could try it, if not, just use a PCIe slot + adapter card in a desktop.

Glaring_Mistake

Mar 2, 2015

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I need to back up the data from a non-functioning Dell XPS 13 9343. I haven't yet found anything (that I'd consider definitive) to tell me what kind of drive I should expect to find in the laptop.

- edit - now that I have the laptop, I looked up the service tag and the parts in it. The SSD is allegedly this:

R4FXV
SSDR, 512, S3, 2280, SAMSUNG, PM851

The PM851 appears to be a SATA M.2 drive, so panic over?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I need to back up the data from a non-functioning Dell XPS 13 9343. I haven't yet found anything (that I'd consider definitive) to tell me what kind of drive I should expect to find in the laptop.

- edit - now that I have the laptop, I looked up the service tag and the parts in it. The SSD is allegedly this:

R4FXV
SSDR, 512, S3, 2280, SAMSUNG, PM851

The PM851 appears to be a SATA M.2 drive, so panic over?
Looks like you'll be fine. But as someone has said, I'm not aware of any M.2 enclosure on the market that supports NVME drives, SATA M.2 only.

That said, if you have desktop, you can always buy something like this and stick it into desktop
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYPER-M-2-MINI-Interface-Motherboard/dp/B017YUCAXS/

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Looks like you'll be fine. But as someone has said, I'm not aware of any M.2 enclosure on the market that supports NVME drives, SATA M.2 only.

That said, if you have desktop, you can always buy something like this and stick it into desktop
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYPER-M-2-MINI-Interface-Motherboard/dp/B017YUCAXS/

I'm pretty sure my board has an M.2 connector, however I'm running Win7: Could that pose a problem?

Admittedly I could really do with this M.2 SSD in an enclosure, given the circumstances (probable laptop migration).

Given how long M.2 has been on the market, would it be reasonable to assume that there's not going to be an NVMe M.2 USB enclosure?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The PM851 does seem to be listed as sata, so nothing to worry about. It will work with windows 7 as well. NVMe drives can also work, but require drivers installed.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'm pretty sure my board has an M.2 connector, however I'm running Win7: Could that pose a problem?
It's only a problem if you're trying to install Win7 on NVMe drive because Win7 ISO images do not include NVMe drivers by default. You'd have to slipstream NVMe drivers into ISO image. If you already have working Win7 machine, and you're using NVMe drive as non-boot drive Win7 should just get drivers from Microsoft.

Admittedly I could really do with this M.2 SSD in an enclosure, given the circumstances (probable laptop migration).

Given how long M.2 has been on the market, would it be reasonable to assume that there's not going to be an NVMe M.2 USB enclosure?
I think making NVMe to USB chip may be not feasible, either too complicated, or too costly given low demand for it. I wouldn't expect it any time soon if ever.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Well given that it's a PCI-E based Storage technology, probably not until all the stars align. Not all Storage controllers support hot-add or hot-remove (I'd say most don't in the consumer market), which would be a problem. The technology isn't really suited for USB 3.0, but could work on Thunderbolt. Eventually, enough enterprise features will trickle down to the consumer NVMe controllers, where putting a USB bridge chip next to it would start to be more feasible.

If you really needed a way to do it outside your system, you could use one of those miner cards, that routes a 1x PCI-e signal over a USB cable outside your case to a 16x PCI-e slot. Put an M.2 adapter card in that.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
After all that, I didn't need the enclosure in the end, I got the laptop working. Slightly frustrating experience!

In other news, I helped a customer pick out a laptop (MSI GL72M 7REX), which states having a PCIE M.2 SSD in its specs, yet running ATTO on it out of the box results in SATA 6Gbps type speeds.