Will this hack work for 4K Users?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I saw this hack over on neogaf and wanted to know if I could use this on my 4K monitor?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353346

I don't have the cash to get a really nice monitor with a GPU that can run it at high resolutions and high framerates. Also, I'm a competitive gamer on PC, so I love my ASUS 144hz monitor.

Something I have started doing in ALL games that support it, is display my games in 21:9 (1920x810) on my 16:9 monitor. Why do this? You are displaying less pixels as a whole and increase performance, while you actually get a wider peripheral view in games. I love this for my single player gaming, which gives you a more cinematic feel with wider peripherals (DooM, Dishonored, Alien Isolation, Hitman). I enjoy it in my sim racing games like Assetto Corsa, so now I can see my mirrors better and where cars are relative to my position. What I really love it for is competitive games like CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, Battlefield 1, and Rocket League. I can now take full advantage of the wider peripherals and hold angles better due to being able to see more to the left and right, while still seeing the same amount of information up and down. As long as you don't mind small black bars above and below your image, you will probably love this! Most of us watch movies with black bars, so I really don't think it's hard to get adjusted to. If you are like me and play a lot of your PC games on a TV, the black bars are even less of a problem.

I could really use the extra fps

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I saw this hack over on neogaf and wanted to know if I could use this on my 4K monitor?

You can use it, your monitor probably has an option to do 1:1 pixel mapping to resolution (no scaling)

You'd have to add a custom resolution using CRU (?) or editing the registry

3840x1600 would be about the same as 3440x1440, but not sure how'd it would display. Some games only want "standard" resolutions, so you could do 3440x1440 and have black bars on the sides as well as top/bottom. If you turn off the 1:1 pixel mapping it would scale to the edges, but might end up slightly blurry.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014

Should work, you'll just either have (rather significant) black bars on the top and bottom of your display, or everything would be stretched out and look weird (depending on whether your monitor does 1:1 pixel mapping or not). Also, not all games support 21:9 resolutions.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I've been hacking Field of View via CheatEngine on nearly every game now. Even if BattleEye and EasyAntiCheat are running, FoV hacks have yet to get me in trouble. I don't condone this, but it is far more elegant of a solution IMO.

The Division and Ghost Recon are the more recent games I play that don't support proper FoV. Only changing the aspect ratio increases FoV. I say screw that.

Every game I know usually has Field of View as a float memory address. This means it is easy to increase FoV to 21:9 levels. The key is to go just below the point where the 'fisheye' effect starts in.

I prefer 16:9 with 105 degrees FoV vs 21:9 (non native) with 115 degrees FoV.

If I ever get a 21:9 5k display, I will just raise the FoV even higher.

The older titles I play allow crazy Field of View customization. Even the very competetive FPS'.

3840x1600 feels cramped on my 3840x2160 display. The only true 21:9 I want is 5040x2160 above 60hz which doesn't exist.

I would just focus on natively changing the in game field of view over decreasing resolution. This of course lowers performance even more, but not by much.

In general, I find 120 degrees to be the comfort limit for 21:9; and only 105 for 16:9. It doesn't sound like much, but those extra 15 degrees make a big difference though. If you need more performance and FoV then 3840x1600 may be better.

Thinker_145

Apr 19, 2016
I think that even if the monitor doesn't support this, I know Nvidia has the option within their control panel. AMD might as well.
Oh ya I was confusing GPU support with monitor. A better question would be which modern GPU doesn't support that? I'll think none.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Oh ya I was confusing GPU support with monitor. A better question would be which modern GPU doesn't support that? I'll think none.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, as I think there are monitors which have that support build into their menus too.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
I used to run battlefield 3 on 1920x800 on my 1920x1200 screen. Worked well.

Nvidia control panel has a function to add custom resolutions, amd might as well, but these resolutions aren't always recognised by games.

You can often still get it to work with CRU, unless the game only supports the standard resolutions.

If your monitor doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping you can turn on gpu scaling in nvidia control panel/amd equivalent.