Will this 750W PSU suffice with my XFX GTX260 c216?

tim924

Oct 8, 2008
I recently bought the XFX GTX260 c216 black edition for better gaming,but also bought this PSU from newegg think it being 750w would be a perfect fit with single or even sli gtx 260 setup since it also mentioned that it's 9800GX2 sli certified.But just to be safe,I didnt have experience with a GTX260 or above GPU before,so please comment on this:

PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16817339002

GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814150330

Thanks alot guys!

PSU related question -- moving from Video to the PSU forum

- AmberClad

tim924

Oct 8, 2008

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
i'm not so sure about HEC, i'd def get a corsair hx520 for your 260gtx. the price is great and its modular too

tim924

Oct 8, 2008
I just read the requirements on the XFX GTX260's box,it says that it needs a 550W+,and a +12V Rail with 40A current,and on my PSU It says that it's 750W,but has 4x6pin pci-e connectors(+12V Rails) which is 19A each,and the GTX260 will run with 2x6pin power connectors,so even if it combines 2x19A(2x6 pin),I'd still be 2A short,would that be a problem?

dangman4ever

Nov 17, 2006
You don't add up the rails like that. Also, the 40A requirement is for the WHOLE system, not just the video card by itself.

If that PSU is actually capable of providing 60A on the +12V rail that it says it can on the label, it should be enough. But HEC overates their PSUs like crazy so I highly doubt that it can provide 30A on the +12V rail, let alone 60A.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
so i hear that HEC is a low quality psu seller. go with a better name brand.. FSP, enermax, seasonic are some good classic ones.

tim924

Oct 8, 2008
Problem is I arleady ordered and received the psu like 2 days ago from newegg,If I'm gonna RMA it,how much will the shipping cost?(I live in new york)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Get the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w. It is the best 750w PSU available, just look at the reviews. I am going to exchange my Corsair for it.

:laugh:

Seriously? There's no reason to. The Corsair is excellent. Even Johnny Guru says it's good. The Corsair unit has 4x 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors and 8 SATA connectors. the Silencer has 2x 6pin PCI-E and 2x 8pin PCI-E with 6 SATA connectors. The Corsair unit also has an extra floppy connector for those that still use them. Not to mention it has a Silver 80plus rating. Seasonic even has a few units that got the gold standard.

If you want the best go with Seasonic SS-750 which has up to 90% efficency and uses a DC to DC converter design. 8xSATA connectors 4x 6+2pin PCI-E and 2x +12v rails of 38A each. Able to provide 744watts combined between them. It's also a modular design for less clutter.

P.S. Seasonic actually built a good number of PCP&C units and PCP&C rebranded them and raised the price.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
The whole ac ripple makes me not want it anymore. I also want a SeaSonic built unit, not a CWT. That SeaSonic PSU that you mentioned is $250 at NewEgg. The Silencer is $80 AR.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
So are you guys telling me I shouldn't exchange my PSU? Should I worry about the higher AC ripple? The two I would be choosing from is Corsair 750TX (which I already have) or the PCP&C Silencer 750.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
It doesn't matter that the ripple is higher. It's still not high. If it's within spec, you're not hurting any other components because your components are made to filter ripple that's under 120mV. I would only be concerned if the riplle was high... not just "higher."

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
One more thing jonnyGURU. In your tests on the 750TX the +5V went above the 50mV spec to 80mV. Isn't that a problem?

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
The Cosair just doesn't seem on par wth the Silencer. There is no reason for me to keep on justifying it to myself when I can just go to the store and exchange it. The Silencer has many gold awards and with the legendary brand name I might as well. I don't need 8x SATA and and I don't plan on doing SLI but if I do, I won't be doing it on a 750 watt.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
I wouldn't go to the trouble of exchanging it, but when you're spending your own money there's no reason not to have a machine you're 100% satisfied with. If you'd be happier with the PCP&C, go for it.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: DSF
but when you're spending your own money there's no reason not to have a machine you're 100% satisfied with. If you'd be happier with the PCP&C, go for it.

Exactly

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
One more thing jonnyGURU. In your tests on the 750TX the +5V went above the 50mV spec to 80mV. Isn't that a problem?

If you read the review, you'd note that test 6, when the +5V ripple went out of spec, was a crossload test. There was only a 2A load on the +12V and a 25A load on the +5V. The load is extrremely unrealistic. It's like using the Corsair to power a Socket A based PC or something. So why do we do the test? Because some PSU's hold up to crossload better than others and we like to reveal that.

Performance-wise, I do agree that the Seasonic platform they use for the Silencer is a better performance platform than the CWT based Corsair. The Corsair is nice because it's pretty quiet because PC Power is stuck in 80MM fan land.

But you even said yourself that you don't need 8x SATA, you won't be doing SLI... you don't even need a 750W power supply! You certainly wouldn't be pushing EITHER Corsair or PC Power to a point where you would see high ripple or anything, so why on earth go through the trouble of swapping out the PSU when you don't have to? If you didn't already have the Corsair, I'd say "sure get the PC Power", but you already have the Corsair and are using it.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU

If you read the review, you'd note that test 6, when the +5V ripple went out of spec, was a crossload test. There was only a 2A load on the +12V and a 25A load on the +5V. The load is extrremely unrealistic. It's like using the Corsair to power a Socket A based PC or something. So why do we do the test? Because some PSU's hold up to crossload better than others and we like to reveal that.

Performance-wise, I do agree that the Seasonic platform they use for the Silencer is a better performance platform than the CWT based Corsair. The Corsair is nice because it's pretty quiet because PC Power is stuck in 80MM fan land.

But you even said yourself that you don't need 8x SATA, you won't be doing SLI... you don't even need a 750W power supply! You certainly wouldn't be pushing EITHER Corsair or PC Power to a point where you would see high ripple or anything, so why on earth go through the trouble of swapping out the PSU when you don't have to? If you didn't already have the Corsair, I'd say "sure get the PC Power", but you already have the Corsair and are using it.

because I like having the best

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
well there are better units than the PC P&C Silencer...but you will have to pay more for them. :D