Will there ever be a time when we won't need guns?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Who does DHS intend to fight with 450 million rounds of .40-caliber ammunition??? o_O

DHS has 200,000 employees, that means each one of them gets 2250 rounds apiece, including paper pushers, secretaries and janitors.

Realistically, only about 10 percent of DHS staff would even be qualified, much less authorized to carry a weapon. That means those lucky individuals will get 22,500 rounds apiece. Assuming they might use 1,000 rounds a year for annual range use and qualification, that leaves 21,500 pistol caliber rounds apiece with which to wreak havoc.

Do they have some sort of idea that the Chinese are going to invade the US?

Or do they think they will be holding down a domestic insurrection of a type that has never occurred in history, to include the Civil War?

And why .40 cal? That is a pistol round that would leave the poor DHS agent outgunned by anyone with a rifle, or even a shotgun.

Ah yes... the Department of Homeland Security; a wonderfully inefficient new layer of bureaucracy created by George W. Bush in an idiotic knee-jerk reaction to 9/11.

Only someone who believes in big government would think that combining smaller agencies into one bigger agency will result in higher efficiency, lower costs, and improved performance in the task the agency is charged with performing.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
I am an ape and a gun is like a banana. Once I get a banana I don't want to give it away. I got lots of guns, I have no idea how many. I don't look at them, I don't have them ready for self defense, I don't shoot, I just have them and I want it to stay that way. I am a gun owner and it's a mental state. There's no cure for it or bananas.
I am a gun owner and I just shot a rabid skunk yesterday.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
As soon as someone trains wood chucks not to dig holes in my fields, someone trains foxes, raccoons, skunks, mink, weasels, etc. not to try to kill and eat my chickens; as soon as someone trains deer to just package themselves up and jump into my freezer, then perhaps I won't need a gun. Wait a second... I can get Bambi with a bow. Gun not needed for deer (though it increases the number that I can legally shoot each year.)

I applied for (and received) a handicapped permit to be able to shoot deer during archery season with a crossbow. I wouldn't really want to use that to shoot rapid skunks or coons since if you miss you would be SOL.