Will there be advantages for a SFF with nForce4 & PCIe?

bupkus

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2000
I would like my next performance/gaming box to be SSF but is there any reason to expect advantages of PCIe over APG?

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
PCIe has a greater bandwidth than AGP but it does not make a difference because current video cards still do not use up all of the bandwith of the AGP slot.

another advantage of nForce4 is the capability to use SLI. but due to the fact that SFFs cannot even fit one large vid card (6800 ultra), there will not be enough room to fit two video cards for SLIing.

so, there will be no advantage as of yet. unless they change the size of current SFFs and make them large enough to hold two video cards.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
if you like to upgrade than yes

if you will build a new system when it's time to upgrade, no

bupkus

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2000
I understand that in a standard ATX mobo it will be best for me to build my new system with the future in mind, therefore PCIe.
However, I was just wondering what PCIe will do for the SSF which has it's own problems and solutions.

I tried to check on the SFF success stories of current Intel systems employing PCIe and it doesn't seem to provide any obvious advantages over designing a successful SFF mobo using AGP.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
AGP cards will be around for quite some time, so any SFF you build that uses AGP will still have quite a few video card options for some time to come.

Edit: But you could use the PCIe x16 slot for any other PCIe card I believe. Then you could install a graphics card, or even another PCIe device if you wanted to.