Will there be a quad core, highly clocked IB-E?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I might upgrade to IB-E from my i7-3820 since I already own an X79 platform. Anyone here know if there will be a quad core version of the IB-E CPU. I'm more interested in quad core performance of the IB-E since I'm mainly a gamer.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Nobody knows, and nobody will know, until at least 6 months from now.

And, by then, Haswell may be a much better gaming CPU, anyway.

So, just wait until they are actually being reviewed, because the only people that could tell you have great incentives (job and reputation) not to do so.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
That is a my friend are you serious ? replace your Ivy for a Haswell.

OMG what do you expect ? Its going to be not noticable the performance.

What do you do that you need this upgarde? Your desktop will perform the same, and so will games. Its already fast.
Do video editing or autocad or studiomax, or run Sonar X2 . In that you will see major performance difference.

You have never choked your OS to 100 percent except for Video Rendering and Audio Rendering. You have 8 or is that model 4 threads ?

If you had a Quad Q6 from 2007 then YES YES YES upgrade to HASWELL,
Im still on my 2007 processor and I cant choke my DAW ,,,, I project takes 80 percent at most. I have some reason to upgrade. so I can open more VSTi and DXi real time.. So for me a Haswell would have CPU percentage to 25 percent maybe on a project compared to my Q6 80 percent same project. That is 12 threads Haswell, Why don't you do a nice upgrade that makes sense. Go from quad 4 thread to 6 cores 12 threads.. gl

take care.

Last edited:

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I guarantee you that for games a quad haswell will beat a hexa or even octa ivy e. period. You will learn from it when it happens.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Ok wait, exactly when is Haswell coming out. Also the new socket I dont think is compatible with todays coolers.

2013 . when Q1 Q2 ?

Im upgrading to Haswell the top model and not upgrading my CPU and mobo for another 7 years up to 2020,, Its enough for me,,,, I can open 100 real time synths probably compared to 30 now, plus real time plugins,,,,,,, I wonder if I can choke that Haswell 6 core 12 threads wow, I will see 12 of them in Sonar wow,,,,,,,,, and fast single thread compared to a 5 year old cpu I have now,,, cant wait,,

I dont wanna do a clean install tho,, can I just do a repair install and Im up and running on new mobo and CPU... ? thx

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Ok wait, exactly when is Haswell coming out. Also the new socket I dont think is compatible with todays coolers.

2013 . when Q1 Q2 ?

March 2013 and mounting holes are the same as on LGA1155/1156.

Not like its not already been said countless times.