Will there be a NAU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
for all practical purposes, there is North American Union between the US & Canada.

the Canadian government is subservient to the policies of Bush & Israel, against the will of
the Canadian people.

the trade policies follow suit.

for all practical purposes, Canada is a colony of the US. no formal declaration of an NAU
is required.

as far as Mexico, the US doesn't want much to do with a Mexican government that is
running out of revenues, now that it's oil-fields are drying up. the Canadian government
runs a surplus, and has loads of natural resources (oil, natural gas, uranium, water) that
the US needs.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
All very good points. Technically, Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy so more or less a colony of UK.

The Canadian government was running a surplus, although there have been recent talks of deficit.

So the best we can hope for financially is more regulation? Electronic banking just makes me wonder, doesn't that make it too easy to "create" new funds? In the seemingly infinite transactions constantly being done, how can it all be accounted for? When you take a loan or a new credit card, these funds all have to come from somewhere? I know that with fractional reserve banking, lenders lend out more than they "have" - but still, does this not create endless inflation? As long as people don't all try to take out cash at the same time, it has the impression that "it works". Even so, doesn't the increasing amount of funds in "circulation", albeit electronic in nature, indefinitely lower the value of the currency?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: zCypher
Originally posted by: Bitek
It is a consp theory as presented and all the fearmongering behind it. One world gov't, loss of sovereignty, national IDs and loss of privacy, all at the driving of powerful individuals.
I wasn't presenting fear mongering or conspiracies. Individuals make up the whole, so knowledge is an important tool. Regardless of whether you think there are conspiracies, what I've brought up are valid discussion topics.

We are closer to the EU than to Mexico culturally at the end of the day, and have more trade. Why on earth would we ever, ever unionize w/ Mexico? Being close really is irrelevant, ie china/india.
Like I said, have a look at the EU member states. Do you really think they are all culturally closer together than us? They are many and their differences are many. Why would we unionize with Mexico? I don't know, but they would probably play on currently existing issues somehow presenting the union as a type of solution or movement towards an eventual solution. Like I said - I don't know - I'm curious, which is why I posted this thread.

First and foremost I think there has to be a cultural and social similarity and attraction for any two groups to come together and unionize. We can do business all we want and not have to really understand ea other let alone form a common gov't.

Mexico is a really alien culture in a lot of ways, and yes, I really think that any EU country has more in common with any other than we do w. Mexico. The US has more in common with with any major EU country than Mex.

Go out of the cities and into the countryside of Mexico and you will see a 3rd world country and a portal back in time in action. In rural Mexico there is very poor education if any, little to no public services, and little opportunity.

A campground in the US offers a better std of living than many parts of Mexico. If you have a public park close to your house with drinking water and toilets, all you need is to bring a tent and a few goats to graze the grass and you are a better off then many Mexicans. I'm absolutely serious.

Public sanitation is completely lacking in lg parts of the country. People actually shit in their yards as they have no toilets. I'm not talking in outhouses, I mean going to a corner of the yard, squatting and laying a shit right on the ground.

Many Mexicans are culturally and racially indian. The spanish came in, but the indigenous pop just didn't disappear. They've been Catholicized, but many traditions and ideas of the old cultures persist and is intractable from the social ID. The anglo/ W Euro culture of the US and Canada are nothing like this. The differences are irreconcilable.

So I say, why would we ever unionize? What could we possibly ever get from Mexico to make this worthwhile? We can get cheap labor easy enough, why take on a huge, uneducated, incomprehensibly poor (to US stds), unskilled population and dysfunctional and corrupt gov't?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
It is a consp theory as presented and all the fearmongering behind it. One world gov't, loss of sovereignty, national IDs and loss of privacy, all at the driving of powerful individuals.

We are closer to the EU than to Mexico culturally at the end of the day, and have more trade. Why on earth would we ever, ever unionize w/ Mexico? Being close really is irrelevant, ie china/india.

We already have RFID in passports, and if you had to submit a thumbscan to get your driver's license, you already have a national ID, as that information is accessible through a centralized database. As far as privacy goes, we don't have any, the NSA has been monitoring emails, faxes, telephone calls etc for a few decades, not to mention warrantless wiretapping etc.

Have you lived in any of the border states? Spanish is pretty much the unofficial second language of California and Texas.

Not really sure what point you are driving at w/ your post.
You have a CC and a SS# yes? You never had any privacy before any of the above. An easy study of your credit history and CC purchases could prolly create a profile that knows you better than you know yourself.
See when and where you buy gas and I can figure out when you go and come home from work, what you're hobbies are, how responsible you are w/ your money, where and what you do for vacation, if you go to a gym, if you drink, if you smoke, likely to have marital problems, etc etc. I bet your lifespan could even be predicted.
Not that I'm gungho for any of that other stuff, just I have little illusions of privacy in the modern society as it already is.
And yes I lived in the west as well as NY metro. I've met/worked w/ someone from every country on earth it seems.